[Lingtyp] Semantic map for the verb 'mean'

Jess Tauber tetrahedralpt at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 14:48:57 UTC 2022

In Yahgan (a newly extinct genetic isolate from Tierra del Fuego, which
I've studied for 25 years), mean 'intend' can be kuru: 'love, want, wish,
desire' (colon marks tenseness of vowel preceding it) or its circumstantial
voice derivative chikvri (v here is schwa), yana 'to desire, purpose, want,
intend', or ITS circumstantial voice derivative chi:yana (ch as in English
church, chip). tapuku: is 'intend but hesitate to', and is the
circumstantial voice derivative of apuku: 'leave alone, leave
undisturbed'.  There is also the permissive-causative (u:-) derivation of
chikvri 'to mean, to be the meaning, the cause of' in the following
sentence- kundam we: u:chikvri hauanchi-kisi-n haim hu:sha kuru: 'Whatever
can be the meaning of all this wind this summer!?' kunda:m 'how?, what
kind/sort?', we: positive probability modal, here 'can', u:chikvri 'let
mean', hauan 'this -chi possessor, kisi 'summer', -n spatiotemporal
locative suffix, haim 'in great degree', hu:sha 'wind' kuru: 'love, want,
wish, desire'. Literally 'what can (it) mean, this summer's excessively
strong wind ((possibly hu:sha kuru: hides ha-  (1st person prefix on kuru:,
in which case the sentence should terminate 'I want' (as in, 'to know')).

Jess Tauber

Virus-free.
www.avg.com
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>