[Lingtyp] 'Cold' as 'peace, harmony', especially in greetings and wishes

Edoardo Nardi e.nardi at unimarconi.it
Thu Jul 27 11:43:22 UTC 2023

Dear Maria,

The first thing that comes to my mind is an expression like ‘cool down’ in English, with the meaning of ‘relax’; or similarly, ‘I am cool’ meaning ‘I am relaxed’ or ‘I am tranquil’, or stuff like that. But I guess these expressions must have had a different diachronic development from the African ones you showed, as well as different socio-cultural reasons motivating their usage and formation.

I think my observations are a bit trivial, but I hope I was useful!

All the best,

Edoardo Nardi, Ph.D.
Professor of Ancient Greek Language
Università degli Studi Guglielmo Marconi (Rome)
e.nardi at unimarconi.it

> Il giorno 27 lug 2023, alle ore 13:33, Maria Koptjevskaja Tamm <tamm at ling.su.se> ha scritto:
>
> Dear colleagues,
>
> In a number of sub-Saharan African languages ‘cold’ (or ‘cool’) can be used in reference to peace and harmony in various contexts, including human propensities (‘X is gentle, kind, generous’) and (emotional) states (‘X is pleased, content, etc’). This use is also sometimes present in wishes/blessings and in greetings, e.g., the Ewe translation of '‘Grant us peace (Dona nobis pacem)' literally means ‘Let our skin become cold’, or the Ga greetings exchange A: ‘Here all?’ – B: ‘Here cold/cool’.
>
> I would be very grateful for more examples of such (or similar uses) – both from African and non-African languages.
>
> Many thanks and all the best,
>
> Maria / Masha
>
> Prof. Maria Koptjevskaja Tamm
> Dept. of linguistics, Stockholm university, 106 91, Stockholm, Sweden
> tel.: +46-8-16 26 20 (office)
> www.ling.su.se/tamm
> tamm at ling.su.se

__ <https://www.unimarconi.it>
_
_
_

<https://www.facebook.com/unimarconi/>
<https://www.instagram.com/unimarconi/>
<https://it.linkedin.com/school/universit%C3%A0-degli-studi-guglielmo-marconi/>
__
<https://twitter.com/Uni_Marconi>________________________________________
_*Le informazioni contenute nel
presente messaggio di posta elettronica e
negli eventuali allegati possono
avere carattere confidenziale e/o
riservato. E', pertanto, vietato ai soggetti
diversi dal destinatario del
messaggio, utilizzare, modificare, copiare,
trasmettere o diffondere tali
informazioni. Qualora abbiate ricevuto il
presente messaggio per errore,
siete pregati di darne immediata notizia al
mittente e di procedere alla
distruzione del messaggio stesso, cancellandolo
dai Vostri sistemi
informativi.

La diffusione, la distribuzione e/o la copiatura
del
messaggio trasmesso da parte di qualsiasi soggetto diverso dal destinatario
è proibita sia ai sensi dell'art. 616 c.p. sia ai sensi del D.Lgs. n.
196/2003
e del Regolamento (UE) 2016/679.

The information
contained in
this e-mail message and in any attachments may be confidential and
/ or
privileged. It is therefore forbidden for persons or entities other than
the recipient of the message, to use, modify, copy, transmit or disseminate
this information. If you have received this message in error, please inform
the
sender immediately and proceed with the destruction of the message,
deleting it
from your information systems.

The dissemination, distribution
and / or copying
of the message transmitted by any person other than the
recipient is prohibited
both pursuant to art. 616 of the italian penal code
both pursuant to
Legislative Decree no. 196/2003 and (EU) Regulation
2016/679.*