[Lingtyp] 'Cold' as 'peace, harmony', especially in greetings and wishes

Jess Tauber tetrahedralpt at gmail.com
Thu Jul 27 14:39:48 UTC 2023

I would imagine that the notions of 'hot' versus 'cool' here relate to the
ones found in the various gas laws. It is well known to physicists that if
you compress a volume of gas, it will heat up, whereas releasing pressure
will cool it down (this is how refrigerators work). And pressure associates
with feelings of priorities in one's life. Heat in a gas also strongly
associates with the speed of the individual molecules or atoms within the
gas- the higher the temperature, the higher the speed. Indeed,
temperature itself turns out to be a measure of the average speed of the
molecules of the body being measured. And the more speed, the more
unsettled the condition of that collection of atoms or molecules, the more
'unsettled' they are, while they don't come to rest (settling down) unless
that temperature is cooled way down, even to the point of becoming a liquid
or solid.

It turns out such notions are also found in ideophonic phonosemantics
(often mistakenly called 'sound symbolism'). For example in many languages
that have large numbers of ideophones (say in the large hundreds to many
thousands), initial labial stops often make reference to the notion of
pressurized contents seeking or finding release into the larger environment
surrounding the container, which if successful will reduce the pressure
within, and let the container, if it has any animate qualities, 'relax'.
Thus in very many languages many of the ideophones dealing with release of
intestinal gases which bloat one's belly begin with a labial stop (or a
historical reflex). Santali (a Munda language spoken in India's northeast)
has dozens of such forms with initial /p/ or other labial stops initially.
While those here with initial labial stops deal with spontaneous release
(or efforts towards same, from the materials to be released themselves),
those with dental or alveolar stops instead deal with the notion of forced
escape (as when compressed from without- think of someone punching you in
the gut and the gas there is forced out unbidden). The velar and palatal
positions initially in such ideophones instead connote withdrawal or
retraction of materials INTO containment/confinement. All very
symmetrically disposed in terms of the use of the phonological system to
interpret the physics and mechanics of the real world, or of animates
social-physically. For example, if some entity wants to hide behind others
and not be forced to put themselves forward into potential danger in the
larger world, the ideophones will utilize a velar initial. Similarly,
palatal initials are used in gossip situations where one wants to make
oneself of value and thus gain entry into some elite clique by offering up
usable, juicy tidbits of gossip. Communications offered with ideophones
that have labial initials are considered to be suspect at best, and of no
value generally (boasting, bragging, blowing one's own horn, exaggerations,
etc.). All this relates also to the relative amounts of contained available
'energy' and entropy (disorder), so again, a physical basis for value
judgements.

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>