[Lingtyp] [ɸ] - [h]

Larry M. HYMAN hyman at berkeley.edu
Wed May 24 16:00:14 UTC 2023

Yes, I realized just after sending my message that non-high back vowels are
also [+grave]. I'm  not a phonetician but the vowel space suggests that
high back vowels should be more "grave", greater concentration energy in
the lower/est frequencies. I checked  p.35 of my old (1975) textbook and
see that Diffuse won't help, since both high and mid vowels are Diffuse vs.
low vowels, which are Compact. and of course only [u], and not [ɯ] is Flat.
Whatever feature one chooses for vowels, these are of course gradient
distinctions.