LINGUIST How-To's Feb 11, 1995 (REV)

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sat Feb 11 19:26:33 UTC 1995

                                       File last changed: Feb 11, 1995]

The following message describes how to do things on LINGUIST, and
with the LINGUISTS Nameserver.  We send this out every few weeks so
that it will be available through the same channel as the messages,
rather like the stylesheet in the front cover of a paper journal.
It will always appear without a volume number and with the subject
line "LINGUIST How-To's" followed by the date of the latest update,
and the annotation (REV) if the file has been changed since the last
posting, and (UNREV) if it has not.  Change bars (|) along the left margin
mark these modified sections.]

  NOTE:  LINGUIST is now also available through World Wide Web.
         You can find it in Mosaic or Lynx  at the following URL:

         http://www.ling.rochester.edu/linguist/contents.html

|       We also keep informational pages which you can access
|       through the Web.  Each of these is kept at two sites:
|
|     a.        A list of linguistic data sources on the Web:
|
|       http://engserve.tamu.edu/files/linguistics/linguist/datasources.html
|               or
|       http://tam2000.tamu.edu/~linguist/datasources.html
|

|    b. How to access the LINGUIST database:
|
|       http://engserve.tamu.edu/files/linguistics/linguist/dbasehelp.html
|               or
|       http://tam2000.tamu.edu/~linguist/dbasehelp.html

     IMPORTANT:  If you decide to read LINGUIST on WWW rather
                 than by mail, do not simply unsubscribe. This
                 will deprive you of access to the Listserv,
                 and you will not be able to get files.
                 Instead, set your subscription to nomail.

                       ---VERY IMPORTANT---

If you're receiving LINGUIST yet your messages to the Listserv are
rejected, check to see if your address has recently changed. Mail
will often continue to reach you under your old address, but the
Listserv will not recognize your new address on incoming messages.

                        ------------------------------

HOW TO:

1) SUBSCRIBE TO LINGUIST:

   Send a message to:

   Listserv at tamvm1.tamu.edu

   The message should consist of the following line
   only:
          subscribe linguist firstname lastname

   Ex:  subscribe linguist Jane Doe

2) TEMPORARILY STOP RECEIVING LINGUIST:

    Send a message to the Listserv (NOT to the main LINGUIST
    address) at the address in (1) above.  The message should
    consist of the following line only:

           set linguist nomail

    You might do this if, for example, you are going on
    vacation for a few weeks.  When you return, simply
    do (3) below.

3)  RESTART LINGUIST AFTER HAVING SET YOURSELF TO
    "NOMAIL":

     Send a message to the Listserv, at the address in
     (1) above.  The message should consist of the
     following line only:

           set linguist mail

4) PERMANENTLY REMOVE YOURSELF FROM THE LIST:

     Send a message to the Listserv, as in (1) above.
     The message should consist of the following line
     only:
           unsub linguist

5)  CHANGE YOUR ADDRESS:

    Log on to your OLD account and send the following message to
    the listserv at the address in (1) above:
           unsub linguist

    Now, log on to your NEW account and send to the same address
    the message:
          subscribe linguist firstname lastname

    If you no longer have access to your old account, subscribe
    from your new account as described above, and ask one of
    the editorial staff to remove your old address manually.

6)  FIND OUT WHY YOU AREN'T GETTING LINGUIST:

    Send a message to the Listserv, as in (1) above.
    The message should consist of the following line
    only:

           query linguist

    This will tell you the status of your own
    subscription.

    If you find you've been set to Nomail, you can
    restart your subscription by following (3) above.

    If you find that the Listserv has no record of
    you, simply resubscribe by following (1) above.
    (Your subscription may have been deleted because
    messages were bouncing from the address you gave
    us, and we weren't able to contact you.)

7)  GET THE LISTSERV TO CORRECT YOUR NAME:

     Send a "subscribe" command as described in (1). Listserv
     treats a "subscribe" command from someone who is already
     subscribed to the list as a name change request.

8)  GET THE NAMES AND E-MAIL ADDRESSES OF LINGUIST
    SUBSCRIBERS:

     Send a message to the Listserv, as in (1) above.
     The message should consist of the single line:
          review linguist

     If you wish to receive a list which is categorized by country,
     send the following message:

          review linguist by country

     If you wish to receive an alphabetized list
     send the following message:

          review linguist by name

9)   JOIN IN THE LINGUIST DISCUSSION:

     Address your message to:

         Linguist at tamvm1.tamu.edu   (Internet)

     Or simply select the Reply option while reading a LINGUIST
     message. (Use this option only if you're joining in the same
     discussion as the message you're replying to.)

    PLEASE:
          -----DO use subject headings which clearly tell the subscribers
               what's in your message (e.g. don't send a query on Mbum
               NP's with the subject heading "Query"!)
          -----DO NOT reply to more than one LINGUIST posting in a
               single message.  This gives the editors a lot of extra work!

10)  RETRIEVE A FILE FROM THE LISTSERV:

    We frequently announce that large files are available on the
    Listserv.  To get such a file sent to you as a mail message,
    follow the instructions given in the message announcing that
    the file is available.

    BUT REMEMBER:
         The address for retrieving files is different
         from the address for posting a message to LINGUIST.
         Send your message to
             listserv at tamvm1.tamu.edu
         Your message should consist of the following line:

             get <filename> <filetype> linguist

         Ex:  get lsa lst linguist
         (This will retrieve the list of e-mail addresses
         for LSA members.)

    If the listserv tells you that the file is unknown to it,
    you may just have the wrong name.  Get a listing of all
    the files it has by sending the listserv the message:

            index linguist

11) PUT A FILE ON THE LISTSERV:

    We ask that you put very long files (e.g. over 400 lines)
    of LONGTERM interest on the Listserv, rather than posting them
    to the entire list. Files appropriate for the Listserv include
    conference abstracts; linguistic surveys; long bibliographies;
    reports on projects directly relevant to linguistic research
    (e.g., the Text-Encoding Initiative); and other material of wide
    interest within the linguistics community.

    If you have material to put on the Listserv:

    Head the material EITHER

     "For the Listserv"
        OR
     "For the Listserv--announcement follows"

    and send it to:

        Linguist at tamvm1.tamu.edu

    In other words, send it exactly like a regular
    LINGUIST message.

    We will put it on the Listserv for you and
    announce to the list that it is available.
    Depending on your header, we will announce it
    in one of two ways:

    If you have headed it, " . . . announcement follows"
    we'll wait for your summary announcement and post
    that, after appending our standard header
    telling how to retrieve the complete file.
    THIS IS THE OPTION WHICH WE WOULD PREFER,
    since it ensures a coherent announcement.
    Please make your announcement brief and send it, as
    a second mail message, to the same address.

    If you have headed it simply "For the Listserv,"
    we'll post the first few lines of the file,
    after appending our standard header
    telling how to retrieve the complete file.

12) GET A BACK ISSUE OF LINGUIST:

    Currently all previous issues are available on line from the listserv.
    These are kept in archive files, so you'll need to send a database
    query to the listserv asking for an index of the back issues you want.
    a keyword for your topic. You get such a listing by sending the
    following to the listserv:

    //SEARCH JOB ECHO=NO
    DATABASE SEARCH DD=RULES
    //RULES DD *
    SEARCH <keyword> IN LINGUIST

    For example, you remember that there was a discussion last year
    about Acehnese, but can't remember exactly when.  You need
    to search the database of the listserv for issues with the
    word "Acehnese" in them. You send the following to the listserv:

    //SEARCH JOB ECHO=NO
    DATABASE SEARCH DD=RULES
    //RULES DD *
    SEARCH ACEHNESE IN LINGUIST SINCE 01-OCT-1993

    You will recieve a listing of all relevant issue numbers, with
    their headers. To retrieve an issue, send the message:

    //SEARCH JOB ECHO=NO
    DATABASE SEARCH DD=RULES
    //RULES DD *
    SEARCH ADEHNESE IN LINGUIST SINCE 01-OCT-1993
    PRINT Item-Number

    Note that you use the Listserv's OWN item number, NOT the LINGUIST
    issue number. More than one issue can be retrieved at once.

    For more complex searches than this one, you'll need to find out
    more on how to use Listserv's database.  So you send the message:

       get database help linguist

    to the address:

      listserv at tamvm1.tamu.edu  (Internet)

13) GET LINGUIST BACK-ISSUES BY FTP:

    Back issues of the LINGUIST list are available by anonymous ftp
    from a file-server at the University of Michigan.  On most systems
    you can reach these by typing the following to your prompt:

         ftp archive.umich.edu

    Use the login id "anonymous" and give your identity as the password.

    Please direct any queries about the archive server to:

      John Lawler <jlawler at umich.edu>

14) GET THE LISTSERV TO COOPERATE WHEN IT HASN'T SO FAR:

    If you've been getting LINGUIST but haven't been able to
    get files, set nomail, etc., the Listserv may have an address
    which differs from the one on your mail-messages.  A sure sign
    that the Listserv doesn't recognize you is the response "DATA
    CONTROL ACCESS VIOLATION" when you try a database search, or
    a sentence beginning "You are not authorized to..." when you try to
    get a subscriber list. This simply means that the Listserv doesn't
    know who you are, and is refusing to allow a non-subscriber access
    to LINGUIST data.  There are a number of ways to handle this:

          a.  If you are using a Bitnet address, you'll have to
    reroute using the Internet.  LINGUIST no longer uses Bitnet.
          b. Check to see if your address has changed since you subscribed.
    If this has happened, you'll need to resubscribe as in (5) above.
          c. Many people also receive LINGUIST through local redistribution
    lists.  Such a subscription allows you to read LINGUIST, but not to
    access its data.  If this is your situation, you'll have to subscribe
    personally.  You can set yourself to nomail if you want to continue
    receiving mail through the distribution list.

    If all else fails,  ask the moderators for help.

15)  GET EXTRA HELP WITH ANY OF THE ABOVE:

    Send a message to either of us:
          aristar at tamuts.tamu.edu   (Anthony Rodrigues Aristar)
          hdry at emunix.emich.edu    (Helen Dry)

     We'll be happy to help if we can.
                                   --Anthony & Helen

               -------------------------------------

           HOW TO USE THE LINGUISTS NAMESERVER

The LINGUISTS NAMESERVER is a program which allows linguists to
find the e-mail addresses of other linguists.  ALL SUBSCRIBERS TO
LINGUIST SHOULD SEND THEIR OWN LISTING TO THE NAMESERVER WHEN THEY
FIRST SUBSCRIBE, in the way described below.

NB: The LINGUISTS Nameserver is administered independently from
    the LINGUIST mailing list.  All ENQUIRIES about the server should
    be sent to the administrator of the nameserver, Norval Smith,
    at the address NSMITH at ALF.LET.UVA.NL.

    DO NOT SEND ANY NAMESERVER MESSAGES TO LINGUIST at TAMSUN.TAMU.EDU OR
    TO LINGUIST at TAMVM1.  These addresses will not be able to deal with them.

                      @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

All nameserver messages using the commands below should be sent by e-mail to:

linguists at alf.let.uva.nl (linguist at alf.let.uva.nl works too)

1) To get a listing of (an) address(es):

        list SURNAME

2) To add an address to the Nameserver list:

        add SURNAME, FIRSTNAME: USERNAME at ADDRESS

3) To remove an address from the Nameserver list:

        remove SURNAME, FIRSTNAME: USERNAME at ADDRESS

4) To receive the whole list (230 Kb)

        list *

5) To get a complete HELP message:

        help

6) To get a list of available FAX numbers:

        list fax

Some Do's and Don'ts.

NB-1:   All capitalized portions of the above commands are variables. Replace
        with the relevant names.
NB-2:   Please use only lower-case letters.
NB-3:   Start all commands at the left margin.
NB-4:   Start each command on a new line. As many commands as you like in one
        message.
NB-5:   It's just a dumb computer. No message other than the above commands
        will have any effect at all.
NB-6:   Please don't attempt to reach us with a TELL message. You will only
        get a NO SUCH NODE message back.