6.192 Latvia's language policy

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sat Feb 11 20:07:52 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-192. Sat 11 Feb 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 100

Subject: 6.192 Latvia's language policy

Date: Sat, 4 Feb 95 15:45:12 JST
From: Kazuto MATSUMURA (kmatsum at tansei.cc.u-tokyo.ac.jp)
Subject: Re: Latvia's lg policy

2)
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 1995 12:05:29 -0500 (EST)
From: MARC PICARD (PICARD at VAX2.CONCORDIA.CA)
Subject: Latvian language policy

Date: Sat, 4 Feb 95 15:45:12 JST
From: Kazuto MATSUMURA (kmatsum at tansei.cc.u-tokyo.ac.jp)

) Re: language policy in Latvia (6.149)

In his query concerning Latvia's language situation, Martin Haspelmath
uses the expression "Russian-speaking Estonians." I wonder who he (or
German public TV) means by it. Haspelmath writes:

)I am interested in references to reports on the recent language policy
)situation in Latvia. There was a report recently on German public TV that
)painted a rather worrying picture, showing that knowledge of the Latvian
)language is sometimes required of Russian-speaking Estonians even where
)it makes no sense. From the report it was difficult to avoid the
)impression that
)"linguistic human rights" violations are normal in present-day Latvia.
)I am particularly interested in reports by neutral observers, perhaps
)Western journalists and human rights groups.

Accusations about the so-called "linguistic human rights" violations
in the Baltic countries are not recent phenomena. It was Estonia that
was accused of "linguistic human rights violations" until a year or
two ago. Now it seems Latvia's turn.

If "Russian-speaking Estonians" were to mean "ESTONIAN CITIZENS visiting
Latvia who try to survive by speaking Russian only," then this is hardly
a case of human rights violation in the strict sense of the term. Try not
to speak German at all in Germany.

If they were to refer to "ETHNIC ESTONIANS living permanently in Latvia
whose native language is Russian," then the idea would make as little
sense to me as the expression "an ethnic German living permanently in
Italy whose native language is French." What would happen if if he/she
insisted on using French only in his/her everyday life?

Who are those "Russian-speaking Estonians" that are allegedly so hard
pressed in Latvia?

Kazuto MATSUMURA

kmatsum at tansei.cc.u-tokyo.ac.jp
      ILCAA, Tokyo University of Foreign Studies
      Nishigahara 4-51-21, Kita-ku, TOKYO 114   JAPAN
      tel. +81-3-5974-3801     fax: +81-3-5974-3838