6.194 Sum: Numbering sentences & cross referencing Word

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sun Feb 12 11:52:42 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-194. Sun 12 Feb 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 112

Subject: 6.194 Sum: Numbering sentences & cross referencing Word

Date: Wed, 08 Feb 1995 11:34:07 -0600
From: mdavies at rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu (Mark Davies)
Subject: Numbering sentences and cross-referencing in Word 6.0

2)
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 1995 12:06:16 -0600
From: mdavies at rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu (Mark Davies)
Subject: Automatic sentence numbering / cross-referencing in WordPerfect 5.1 DOS

Date: Wed, 08 Feb 1995 11:34:07 -0600
From: mdavies at rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu (Mark Davies)

Thanks to the those who responded re. automatic numbering of sentences (and
automatically updated cross-references to those sentences) in Word 6.  To
date, I have received suggestions and comments (for Word 6) from Edwin S.
Williams (edwin at phoenix.Princeton.EDU), Stan Carmack
(6500sac at ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu),  Ursula Kleinhenz ursula at ricarda.fas.
ag-berlin.mpg.de), and Simon Corston (corston at humanitas.ucsb.edu).  I'm
afraid I've misplaced the names and address of one or two others also; sorry
to have not included those also.  I also received a nice solution from Mark
Brand (brandm at acf2.NYU.EDU) re. WPWin 6.0/6.1.

Re. Word, E. Williams uses macros, U. Kleinhenz and S. Corston uses
variations of captions and numbering (I hope I'm not getting these confused;
I've erased the original responses), and S. Carmack uses the SEQUENCE
command.  Although several of the approaches will provide the needed
results, I will include here the solution from Stan Carmack of UCSB, which
is along the lines of what I was originally trying to accomplish with the
SEQUENCE command.  He writes:

I've found no problems with seq numbering in
Word with bookmarks:

{ seq s } or { seq s \c } (the latter for
retaining the number of the former).

As for cross-referencing with bookmarks, I've
found that for Word 6 as well as Word for Windows
2 it does it just fine. Just highlight the seq
field, hit CTRL-SHIFT F5, type in bookmark name
such as "nonagr" or something. Then if you want
to refer to it you make a field like this:

{ seq s nonagr }

That's it, as long as you use F9 to update fields
you'll see that it keeps track of it all very
nicely.  You can even do something like:

"See { seq s nonagr } on page { pageref nonagr }."

Thanks again to those who respsonded to the original query.