6.43 Greenberg: techniques and counterevidence

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Mon Jan 16 17:00:34 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-43. Mon 16 Jan 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 100

Subject: 6.43 Greenberg:  techniques and counterevidence

               Liz Bodenmiller <eboden at emunix.emich.edu>

Date: 11 Jan 95 06:00 GMT
From: ECOLING at AppleLink.Apple.COM (Ecological Linguistics,Anderson,PAS)
Subject: Evaluate techniques not person

2)
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 95 15:34:33 EST
From: amr at kali.cs.wayne.edu
Subject: Greenberg and Counterevidence

Date: 11 Jan 95 06:00 GMT
From: ECOLING at AppleLink.Apple.COM (Ecological Linguistics,Anderson,PAS)

Mike Maxwell's message on Greenberg's hypotheses and possible parallels with
"Eve" and mitochondrial DNA is very interesting.

I would suggest that a PhD dissertation would be much better oriented to
finding out exactly how some of our various techniques of analysis fare at
different time depths and on typologically different sets of languages.  In
other words, trying to prove a particular *person* right or wrong is much less
useful to the field than trying to advance the techniques of the field, and the
more useful work will be more cited and will itself have a longer useful life.

On the particulars, I should certainly read "The Search for Eve" since I am so
interested in how people reason and the traps they can fall into.