6.50 Qs: Do; Reduplication; Have) of; C-Insertion

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Mon Jan 16 22:20:44 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-50. Mon 16 Jan 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 129

Subject: 6.50 Qs: Do; Reduplication; Have) of; C-Insertion

               Liz Bodenmiller <eboden at emunix.emich.edu>

                           REMINDER

Date:         14 Jan 95 10:36:01 SAST-2
From: RAJ at beattie.uct.ac.za
Subject:      affirmative 'do'

2)
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 1995 11:15:59 -0500 (CDT)
From: LJONSSON at MACALSTR.EDU
Subject: Reduplicative constructions and polarity

3)
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 1995 18:28:55 -0600 (CST)
From: Larry G Hutchinson (hutchin at maroon.tc.umn.edu)
Subject: Re: 6.39 have) of

4)
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 1995 22:42:40 -0500
From: JPKIRCHNER at aol.com
Subject: C-insertion

Date:         14 Jan 95 10:36:01 SAST-2
From: RAJ at beattie.uct.ac.za

I am working on a construction in a Cape Town dialect that involves
the use of unstressed 'do' in affirmative contexts: e.g. 'I did go to
the hall yesterday'.  No contrastive pre-supposition is intended;
speakers appear to be simply highlighting a 'salient' activity
(there are present tense parallels too). Although this is
traditionally believed to be a 'contact' feature of Cape Town
English, it sounds to me rather like a relic from early modern
standard English, reinforced by natural (second language)
acquisition.  The form does occur (though possibly with different
pragmatics) in child language acquisition (I have sporadic &
unsystematic examples from Britain); but is soon weeded out of the
grammar.
    QUESTION: Does anyone know of any dialect (any L1 or L2
form of English; child language, early interlanguage etc.) that has
something similar?  (I am familiar with early modern standard and
earlier forms of 'do'; with affirmative 'do' in Ireland and the south-
 west of England - the pragmatics there are different, incidentally:
'habitual' is not a function associated with the Cape Town dialect.)
Thanks:
Raj Mesthrie
Dept of Linguistics
University of Cape Town