6.324 Qs: Translations needed, OE grammar, Fr corpora, Chinese-English

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Mar 2 07:16:19 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-324. Thu 02 Mar 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 134

Subject: 6.324 Qs: Translations needed, OE grammar, Fr corpora, Chinese-English

                           REMINDER

Date: 1 Mar 95 13:11
From: P.A.Rowlett at mod-lang.salford.ac.uk
Subject: Five words in lots of languages

2)
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 1995 09:49:00 -0500 (EST)
From: SH377413 at SCVAX.WVNET.EDU
Subject: A query on OE grammar

3)
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 1995 17:51:02 +0100 (MET)
From: Wim Van Loo (Wim.VanLoo at rug.ac.be)
Subject: French corpora

4)
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 1995 15:21:11 -0500
From: Mark at ccgate.dragonsys.com
Subject:  Machine-readable Chinese-English lexicon

Date: 1 Mar 95 13:11
From: P.A.Rowlett at mod-lang.salford.ac.uk

Dear wonderfully cooperative LINGUIST readers,

It's a long story which I won't bore you with, but I need translations of the
following five words IN AS MANY LANGUAGES AS POSSIBLE for use in a television
programme being made for BBCtv:

memory
foot
water
sun
fire

I already have French, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Catalan, Arabic,
Dutch.

I would be grateful to anyone who can send me the translations of these words
in any other language(s).  Ideally, I'm after 150 languages, so feel free to
send exotic ones.  The translations are needed in spoken rather than written
form, so please give some (IPA-like ?) transcription where pronunciation is
not (sort of) apparent from spelling.

Thanks in advance,
Paul Rowlett