6.1454, Disc: Language/Dialect

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Oct 19 03:58:10 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1454. Wed Oct 18 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  126

Subject: 6.1454, Disc: Language/Dialect

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu

Date:  Wed, 18 Oct 1995 13:47:19 +1000
From:  Roula.Tsokalidou at arts.monash.edu.au (Ms Roula Tsokalidou)
Subject:  Re: The linguistic Macedonian question

2)
Date:  Wed, 18 Oct 1995 11:11:23 CDT
From:  jihualde at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Subject:  Language/Dialect

Date:  Wed, 18 Oct 1995 13:47:19 +1000
From:  Roula.Tsokalidou at arts.monash.edu.au (Ms Roula Tsokalidou)

As a linguist and a Greek I am very interested in getting your feedback
on my "solution" to the linguistic Macedonian question.  The way I
have approached this question to my students is to refer to the issue
of linguistic variety (as opposed to language or dialect) and to
support the use of a qualifier in front of Macedonian, that is either
slav Macedonian (for the variety spoken in FYROM) or Greek Macedonian
(for the variety spoken in Greek Macedonia).  This way we aknowledge
both varieties, regardless of their status as "languages" or
"dialects", and respect their power and significance in the way people
identify themsleves as members of one group or the other, with
boundaries that are not always as clearcut as portayed in the media. I
find it unjust that slav Macedonian is traditionally recognised as a
linguistic variety (and traditionally referred to as "Macedonian"
without a qualifier), while the Greek variety of Macedonian, with its
set of lexical items and a distinct accent as spoken in the greek
Macedonian villages hasn't been given any attention or recognition.

  It is important, moreover, to acknowledge that linguistics as a
science plays an important political role, since language is power and
the most powerful means of making sense of and clasiffying the world
(Dale Spender and many other feminist linguists have said so before).
Awaiting your comments, Roula