6.1492, Disc: Prescriptivism

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Wed Oct 25 07:29:56 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1492. Wed Oct 25 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  160

Subject: 6.1492, Disc: Prescriptivism

Editor for this issue: avaldez at emunix.emich.edu (Annemarie Valdez)

Date:  Mon, 23 Oct 1995 21:24:05 EDT
From:  amr at CS.Wayne.EDU (Alexis Manaster Ramer)
Subject:  Re:  6.1489, Disc: Prescriptivism

2)
Date:  Tue, 24 Oct 1995 09:00:30 CDT
From:  CONNOLLY at MSUVX1.MEMPHIS.EDU
Subject:  Prescriptivism

3)
Date:  Tue, 24 Oct 1995 10:35:46 PDT
From:  toolan at u.washington.edu (Michael Toolan)

4)
Date:  Tue, 24 Oct 1995 16:48:35 EDT
From:  haig at aall.ufl.edu (Haig Der-Houssikian)
Subject:  6.1470,  Disc.  Prescriptivism

Date:  Mon, 23 Oct 1995 21:24:05 EDT
From:  amr at CS.Wayne.EDU (Alexis Manaster Ramer)

I like Dick Hudson's way of focusing the discussion a lot.  But, aside
from the minor and almost irrelevant fact that some speakers, e.g., me,
might find both Dick's (1) Me and you ... and (2) You and I perfectly
good, what I am suggesting is precisely that the question of what
linguists believe in relation for patterns like (1) IS "a very difficult
question to answer", and that for two reasons:

(a) Although I was always taught that AS LINGUISTS we must describe
real usage and have no truck whatever with those who decry usages
like (1) as "incorrect", it seems to me now that there are first if
all many linguists who do not accept this doctrine of linguistic
equality or whatever we may call it at all, and that in any case
the involvement of linguists on a far grander scale than I had
suspected with prescriptive grammars and dictionaries means that
many more at least do not practice what the textbooks preach.

(b) I am not sure that the anti-prescriptivist doctrine is
in fact adequate as a presription for what we should believe
and how we should describe language, because, first of all,
notions of correctness are not as artificial as we are taught
(they are not just inventions of some irrelevant old schoolmarm
or traditional grammarian, at least not in general), and because
if speakers themselves believe in such notions, then that makes
them real in some sense.   Moreover, I have been noticing some
patterns cross-linguistically in what is considered correct and
incorrect which suggest that there is something beyond mere
convention in these cases.