6.1502, Qs: Free Word Order,L2 Learning Strategies,Modern Hebrew

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Oct 27 03:37:49 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1502. Thu Oct 26 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  119

Subject: 6.1502, Qs: Free Word Order,L2 Learning Strategies,Modern Hebrew

Editor for this issue: avaldez at emunix.emich.edu (Annemarie Valdez)
                           REMINDER

Date:  Wed, 25 Oct 1995 16:31:04 EDT
From:  karlgren at TOMEK.CS.NYU.EDU (Jussi Karlgren)
Subject:  Languages With Free Word Order

2)
Date:  Wed, 25 Oct 1995 15:08:02 PDT
From:  feng at csulb.edu (Feng Man-Ling)
Subject:  LEARNING STRATEGIES/L2

3)
Date:  Thu, 26 Oct 1995 12:23:19 BST
From:  Ann.Lindvall at ling.lu.se (Ann Lindvall)
Subject:  Modern Hebrew

Date:  Wed, 25 Oct 1995 16:31:04 EDT
From:  karlgren at TOMEK.CS.NYU.EDU (Jussi Karlgren)

Dear All,

I am trying to find if there is agreement on what languages of the
world have 'free word order', or are 'non-configurational' and
possibly, what criteria could be agreed on to determine if a language
has 'free word order' or not; alternatively - and more reasonably - to
what degree the word order of a language is determinate and to what
degree it is dependent on intra-sentential syntactic factors.

Ken Hale lists a few languages in his 1981 paper on Warlbiri
(besides Warlbiri: Navajo, Lakhota, Japanese, Winnebago) he feels
are non-configurational. Do you agree?

What languages do you consider free word order? Why?

No apologies about posting this to LINGUIST rather
than walking over to the book stacks. Summary gladly provided.

Jussi Karlgren                                             karlgren at cs.nyu.edu
Visiting Researcher, Computer Science                  715 Bwy # 704, NYU, NYC
vox: (212) 998-3496 fax: (212) 995-4132             URL: http://sics.se/~jussi