6.1503, Disc: Language and Dialect

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Oct 27 04:14:08 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1503. Thu Oct 26 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  123

Subject: 6.1503, Disc: Language and Dialect

Editor for this issue: avaldez at emunix.emich.edu (Annemarie Valdez)

Date:  Mon, 23 Oct 1995 21:35:31 CDT
From:  pdaniels at press-gopher.uchicago.edu (Peter Daniels)
Subject:   Language and Dialect

2)
Date:  Tue, 24 Oct 1995 23:54:55 PDT
From:  dalford at s1.csuhayward.edu (Dan Moonhawk Alford)
Subject:  The Consequences of Writing a Language

Date:  Mon, 23 Oct 1995 21:35:31 CDT
From:  pdaniels at press-gopher.uchicago.edu (Peter Daniels)

Regarding Leo A. Connolly's remark that more than 60+ languages have a
writing system:

The new book by Barry Sanders, *A is for ox* (an excellent title)
claims without a reference that the United Nations states that there
are exactly 78 literary languages in the world. (a) Presumably the
source would be UNESCO? Has anyone seen this claim before? Do you
remember where? (b) Define "literary language"!

Presumably it's what LAC had in mind with "60+"; but the United Bible
Societies puts out a freqntly updated list of all the languages with
at least one book of the Bible translated, and I think they're close
to 2000 languages now; so in the literal sense, at least that many
languages "have a writing system".  Possibly a handful more could be
added if there are any languages which Muslim or Buddhist missionaries
have recorded and Christian ones haven't.