7.1741, FYI: Humor Studies, Null Arguments, Language Games

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Dec 9 20:26:28 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1741. Mon Dec 9 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 7.1741, FYI: Humor Studies, Null Arguments, Language Games

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <ron at linguistlist.org>

Software development: John H. Remmers <remmers at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Anthony Rodrigues Aristar <aristar at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 2 Dec 1996 18:52:30 -0600 (CST)
From:  acarrell at aix1.ucok.edu (Amy Carrell)
Subject:  2nd Humor Studies Seminar

2)
Date:  Thu, 5 Dec 1996 14:58:09 -0500 (EST)
From:  Sharon Cote <cote at linc.cis.upenn.edu>
Subject:  Grammatical and Discourse Properties of Null Arguments in English

3)
Date:  Sat, 07 Dec 1996 14:36:26 -0800
From:  Marmo Soemarmo <soemarmo at oak.cats.ohiou.edu>
Subject:  Language Games at the LSA Meeting

Date:  Mon, 2 Dec 1996 18:52:30 -0600 (CST)
From:  acarrell at aix1.ucok.edu (Amy Carrell)

Seminar Announcement

The second International Humor Studies Seminar will be held at the
University of Central Oklahoma (UCO)  from July 14 until July 25, 1997,
immediately following the International Society for Humor Studies (ISHS)
conference. The Seminar features two two-week courses: Psychological
Approaches to Sense of Humor, taught by Rod A. Martin of the University
of Western Ontario, and How Could a Human Survive without a Sense of
Humor? taught by William F. Fry.  Classes will meet for three hours each
weekday morning (9:00-noon) and afternoon (1:30-4:30 p.m.).

Academic credit at both the undergraduate and graduate levels is
available for students admissable to UCO.  Upon successful completion
of the Seminar, participants will receive a certificate of endorsement from
the Seminar Director and the International Society for Humor Studies.

The first day of the Seminar, July 14, will be an all-day colloquium of
humor scholars including Don L. F. Nilsen (Arizona State University),
Victor Raskin (Purdue University), Willibald Ruch (University of
Duesseldorf), and others.

UCO is located in Edmond, OK, on the outskirts of Oklahoma City, and is
serviced by Will Rogers World Airport in Oklahoma City.  UCO enrolls
approximately 15,500 students and is the third largest four-year institution
of higher education in the state.

The Seminar is endorsed by the International Society for Humor Studies
(ISHS) and the American Association for Therapeutic Humor (AATH).

For more information, please contact

Amy Carrell, Seminar Director
Department of English
University of Central Oklahoma