7.822, FYI: Transliteration, Parallel corpus Web site

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Tue Jun 4 14:02:58 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-822. Tue Jun 4 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  122

Subject: 7.822, FYI: Transliteration, Parallel corpus Web site

Date:  Mon, 03 Jun 1996 13:52:58 GMT
From:  tempo at sesame.demon.co.uk (John Clews)
Subject:  Transliteration standards

2)
Date:  Mon, 03 Jun 1996 17:30:07 BST
From:  R.M.Salkie at bton.ac.uk (Raphael Salkie)
Subject:  Parallel corpus Web site (fwd)

Date:  Mon, 03 Jun 1996 13:52:58 GMT
From:  tempo at sesame.demon.co.uk (John Clews)

Transliteration standards

I am the new chair of the International Organization for Standardization
subcommittee responsible for transliteration (ISO/TC46/SC2: Conversion of
Written Languages). The new secretary (Evangelos Melagrakis from Greece) and
I hope to make it far more visible and far more relevant to end users than it
has been in the past.

has now been set up by ELOT (the Greek national standards body). We hope this
list will attract researchers and scientists who can add useful information
which might assist in developing standards on the Conversion of Written
Languages.

We also hope to have an emphasis on issues of using computers to do
appropriate transformations necessary in automated transliteration, and also
look forward to having regular contact with those on this list who are
interested in such issues.

One major advantage of email is the ability to involve far more people in
the development of a common purpose than were involved before, to get user
feedback, and expert opinion from various sources.

Subscribing to the mailing list for ISO/TC46/SC2

In order to join the list you should be actively involved in using or
developing transliteration systems, or the results of those sytems in
published documents, or in computer systems, and should be prepared to
contribute to the list from time to time.

If you meet these criteria, and wish to join the list, send an email to
converse at sesame.demon.co.uk, with a copy to eem at elot.gr.

Once you are subscribed, you should also inform your national standards
body to express your interest in participating in this list. I can provide
some information on details of your national member body of ISO, if you send
me an email requesting this.

I look forward to hearing from members of this list. Also please feel free to
forward this to anyone else who may be interested in transliteration
standardisation issues, and to send any queries about the list to me.

                                   Yours sincerely

                                     John Clews
-
   John Clews (Chairman of ISO/TC46/SC2: Conversion of Written Languages)

SESAME Computer Projects, 8 Avenue Rd.  *  email: Converse at sesame.demon.co.uk
Harrogate, HG2 7PG, United Kingdom      *     telephone: +44 (0) 1423 888 432