7.742, Disc: Language in dreams

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri May 24 14:06:30 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-742. Fri May 24 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  136

Subject: 7.742, Disc: Language in dreams

Date:  Thu, 23 May 1996 15:04:02 -0000
From:  P.Woods at dcs.shef.ac.uk (Paul Woods)
Subject:  Language in dreams

2)
Date:  Thu, 23 May 1996 11:01:04 CDT
From:  kberry at indiana.edu (Ken Berry)

3)
Date:  Thu, 23 May 1996 23:22:47 EDT
From:  rowe at email.unc.edu (Charles Rowe)
Subject:  re: 7.720, lang. in dreams

Date:  Thu, 23 May 1996 15:04:02 -0000
From:  P.Woods at dcs.shef.ac.uk (Paul Woods)

I am not sure of the experience of others.
However, at various times I have dreamt in
English, German, Cantonese, and Mandarin.
I am a native speaker of the first, and
would say that I have had many more dreams
in my own language than in any others.
Also, I dreamt more in a second language
when learning it, rather than after
achieving a certain fluency/competence.
In addition, I've never had a nightmare
in anything but English!
I speak Mandarin every day now, but rarely
dream in it.  The other day I was in a dream
in Xinjiang.  There people were using Mandarin,
the local TV was in German, and some folks
outside were speaking a language I'd never heard
and was unable to identify - I placed it as
Uighur!
Don't know if this helps...

Dreamily,

Paul Woods