7.1544, Sum: Children's game (all-ee, all-ee)

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sat Nov 2 13:47:33 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1544. Sat Nov 2 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  52

Subject: 7.1544, Sum: Children's game (all-ee, all-ee)

Associate Editors: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>
                   Ann Dizdar <dizdar at tam2000.tamu.edu>
Assistant Editor:  Sue Robinson <robinson at emunix.emich.edu>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <rreck at emunix.emich.edu>

Date:  Wed, 30 Oct 1996 13:30:25 CST
From:  mschildk at greens1.elgin.cc.il.us (Marge Schildknecht)
Subject:  all-ee all-ee

Date:  Wed, 30 Oct 1996 13:30:25 CST
From:  mschildk at greens1.elgin.cc.il.us (Marge Schildknecht)

Thank you to all the people who replied to my request for information
on ollie, ollie, oxen...or a variation.  I received thirteen replies
by the next day.  The resource Dictionary of American Regional
English, Vol. I was recommended by several people.  Our library does
own this volume, but it was mysteriously missing the day of our
search.  It has now reappeared and does offer multiple versions of the
phrase under the entry "all-ee."  Other ideas offered included the
book The Language and Lore of Schoolchildren by Opie and Opie, a
possible connection to a similar Dutch phrase "olleke bolleke," a song
recorded by Max Bygraves which includes the phrase "gilly gilly oxen
fevver...".  Another person also suggested a possible connection to
the German "alle, alle reinkommen, frei." The instructor who asked the
original question promises to share all the possibilities with his
class.  Thanks once again to all who helped out--your list proved to
tremendously helpful.

Marge Schildknecht
Elgin Community College Library
Elgin, IL