7.1480, Disc: Natural language

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Mon Oct 21 16:29:47 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1480. Mon Oct 21 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  206

Subject: 7.1480, Disc: Natural language

Associate Editors: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>
                   Ann Dizdar <dizdar at tam2000.tamu.edu>
Assistant Editor:  Sue Robinson <robinson at emunix.emich.edu>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <rreck at emunix.emich.edu>

Date:  Thu, 17 Oct 1996 14:42:52 -0800
From:  hendrik at uvic.ca
Subject:  Re: 7.1463, Disc: Natural language

2)
Date:  Fri, 18 Oct 1996 11:20:49 +0200
From:  jens at cphling.dk ("Jens S. Larsen")

3)
Date:  Fri, 18 Oct 1996 18:56:32 CDT
From:  jcentner at hamptons.com (Jonathan Centner)
Subject:   Disc: Natural language

Date:  Thu, 17 Oct 1996 14:42:52 -0800
From:  hendrik at uvic.ca

Having read many of the interesting contributions on how to discern
natural languages, i feel reminded very much of a few issues from
Meathematics:

If i have understood the matter correctly, it has been established (by
Goedel et al) that in any given open system, i.e., one that contains a
potentially infinite number of elements and operations, there may
occur statements that are "true" but unprovably so and also some that
may be unprovably "false" - much to the disappointment (in both ways)
of those mathematicians who until then believed in the existence of an
algorithm - searched for but not yet discovered - for distinguishing
with certainty "true" from "false" statements.

Another issue: bivalent or Aristotelian logic is nowadays being seen
(at least by some) as one of many possible logic system - quite like
Euclidean geometry, once perceived to be the only possible geometry,
was relativised by Riemann. ("Fuzzy logic" is the term for
incorporating this new understanding into statisitcs and computer
applications.) This does not mean Euklidean geometry is suddenly
"wrong"; it is now perceived as a subset instead of the whole set and
can thus only be applied correctly in the appropriate context.

In which way are these matters relevant to the discussion on natural
languages? There are several connections:

a) Looking at parts of languages, we surely would agree that what may
be "unnatural" in a specific context may be "natural" in another
context - witness for (just one) example the use of artificially
created acronyms and of new meanings assigned to existing words, both
in regards to the use of computers and the internet, in the young
generation's "natural" speech.  Context is the decisive parameter here
for deciding the question "artificial or natural?"

b) We must never overlook that just because we are looking for some
"thing", "distinguishing parameter", or "algorithm" it does not follow
that what we look for actually exist: there may be no "ultimate"
parameter or algorithm available to ascertain what is / is not a
natural language.  Instead we may have to settle for "more or less
natural" - a sliding scale - for example, Esperanto as conceived by
Zamenhoff would be at one end of that scale, as it is spoken today it
would be somewhere along the line closer to English, however...

There may be more valuable analogies... :-)

Lest i be misunderstood: it is *not* my intention to judge the debate
on natural langauge as useless - far from it! There are many good
reasons to engage in this debate - enjoyment perhaps not the least of
them - and in that spirit i added those few points to this debate :-)

Hendrik