8.464, Qs: Names in corpora, Coronals, Valency

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Apr 5 21:46:15 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-464. Sat Apr 5 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.464, Qs: Names in corpora, Coronals, Valency

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <ron at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Susan Robinson <sue at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 01 Apr 1997 16:58:28 +0100
From:  Kristine Hasund <Kristine.Hasund at hia.no>
Subject:  Anonymisation of names in spoken corpora

2)
Date:  Wed, 2 Apr 1997 09:34:39 -0500
From:  tgb114 at psu.edu (Travis Bradley)
Subject:  coronal/noncoronal asymmetry

3)
Date:  Thu, 3 Apr 1997 15:43:36 +0100
From:  Thomas Stolz <stolz at zfn.uni-bremen.de>
Subject:  valency dictionaries

Date:  Tue, 01 Apr 1997 16:58:28 +0100
From:  Kristine Hasund <Kristine.Hasund at hia.no>

Dear fellow linguists,

I am writing a report on anonymisation of first names in
transcriptions of spoken corpora, and I would like to get information
about the different conventions that are used to protect the identity
of informants.

If you are, or have been involved in transcriptions of spoken corpora,
I would be very grateful if you would answer the following questions:

1) To what extent have last names, first names and addresses been erased
from tape/video recordings and replaced by fictitious names in the
transcriptions?

2) If first names have been changed as well as last names and addresses,
what were the reasons given for doing so? (legal, ethical, or other)

3) Were names changed manually or automatically (eg by means of a
"search-replace" word processor function)?

Please reply to Kristine.Hasund at hia.no

Regards,
Kristine Hasund