8.959, Qs: Mandarin, Minimalist Program, even if

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Jun 30 04:00:54 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-959. Sun Jun 29 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.959, Qs: Mandarin, Minimalist Program, even if

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 19 Jun 97 16:55:07 EAT
From:  Jiun shiung Wu <hunter at hp.iis.sinica.edu.tw>
Subject:  Q:on Zhang1san1 zhui2lei4 le li3si4

2)
Date:  Thu, 19 Jun 1997 11:34:48 +0000
From:  sfisher at ling.uni-potsdam.de
Subject:  Diachrony and Minimalist Program

3)
Date:  Wed, 25 Jun 1997 14:07:08 +0900
From:  "Hiroaki Tanaka" <hiro-t at ias.tokushima-u.ac.jp>
Subject:  Query: even if

Date:  Thu, 19 Jun 97 16:55:07 EAT
From:  Jiun shiung Wu <hunter at hp.iis.sinica.edu.tw>

Dear all linguists:
Reading the materials on VV structure of Mandarin Chinese,
I found an interesting sentence:
zhang1san2 zhui1lei4 le li3si4
Zhangsan  chase tired particle Lisi
Is there anyone who can tell me under what context one
can get a reading like: Lisi chased Zhangsan and Lisi
got tired in addition to the common reading: Zhangsan
chased Lisi and Zhangsan got tired and Zhangsan chased
Lisi and Lisi got tired?

Besides, can a similiar reading be got from the sentence
below:
xiao3hai2 qi2lei4 le ba4ba4
child    ride tired particle Father
That is, can a reading like 'Father rode his child and
Father got tired.' be got?

Thanks for any answer.  I will post a summary after getting
enough answers.

Jiun-Shiung Wu
hunter at iis.sinica.edu.tw