8.689, Disc: Functionalism

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri May 9 00:58:57 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-689. Thu May 8 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.689, Disc: Functionalism

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Anthony Rodrigues Aristar <aristar at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 08 May 1997 13:52:34 -0500
From:  "Geoffrey S. Nathan" <geoffn at siu.edu>
Subject:  Fortitions, lenitions etc.

2)
Date:  Thu, 8 May 1997 12:07:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:  CHARLES REISS  <reiss at alcor.concordia.ca>
Subject:  Re: Question on functionalism

3)
Date:  Thu, 8 May 1997 12:23:39 -0500
From:  kirchner at cogsci.uiuc.edu (Robert Kirchner)

4)
Date:  Thu, 8 May 1997 23:05:33 +0200 (MET DST)
From:  Norval Smith <Norval.Smith at let.uva.nl>
Subject:  Re: Fortitions, lenitions etc.

Date:  Thu, 08 May 1997 13:52:34 -0500
From:  "Geoffrey S. Nathan" <geoffn at siu.edu>

   Further to Robert Kirchner's reply to Charles Reiss (LINGUIST 8.682)
let me point out another fact about the differential behaviors
of reductive vs. enhancive (?) processes.  Fortitions (in the Natural
Phonology sense) operate preferentially in emphatic, careful, angry,
ironic speech and in idioms meant to be taken literally (i.e. if a
real cat is out of a real bag, the speech will be much less lenited
than otherwise, and will show the effect of optional fortitions).
Some of these predictions have been verified experimentally
(references available upon request).
	Similarly, as Stampe pointed out years ago, lenitions are
preferentially applied in common phrases: 'I don't know' can be
pronounced without consonants, but 'I dent noses', underlyingly
segmentally virtually identical, can't.  A theory in which lenitions
are speaker-centered, fortitions are hearer centered, and in which
there is an ongoing (and probably on-line) tension between the two is
the only reasonable hypothesis I have seen to explain the above facts.
	Further, it has been suggested in work by Dressler that fortitions and
lenitions also have sociolinguistic consequences, in that politeness and
deference favor fortitions, familiarity and rudeness favor lenitions.
Again, real speaker/hearer considerations are directly connected with the
process classes we are discussing.
	Lastly, let me make a plea for a historical perspective on
this debate.  Although Robert Kirchner has been happily building these
notions into OT, he is well aware (and so I am hereby reminding
others) that these concepts originate WAY before the advent of
generative grammar, finding their roots in the work of nineteenth
century phonologists such as Baudouin de Courtenay, and in early
twentieth century phoneticians such as Sievers, Jespersen and
Grammont.  Sorry, but I get a little tetchy about reinventing
wheels...

Geoff

Geoffrey S. Nathan
Department of Linguistics
Southern Illinois University at Carbondale,
Carbondale, IL, 62901 USA
Phone:  +618 453-3421 (Office)   FAX +618 453-6527
+618 549-0106 (Home)