13.915, Disc: Econonmic Value of Lang Diversity

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Apr 2 19:08:05 UTC 2002

LINGUIST List:  Vol-13-915. Tue Apr 2 2002. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 13.915, Disc: Econonmic Value of Lang Diversity

Editors (linguist at linguistlist.org):
	Michael Appleby, EMU		Heather Taylor-Loring, EMU
	Karolina Owczarzak, EMU

Editor for this issue: Marie Klopfenstein <marie at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 2 Apr 2002 15:04:10 GMT
From:  "A.F. GUPTA" <engafg at ARTS-01.NOVELL.LEEDS.AC.UK>
Subject:  Re: 13.878, Disc: Econonmic Value of Lang Diversity

2)
Date:  Tue, 02 Apr 2002 17:53:31 +0300
From:  Martin Ehala <ehala at tpu.ee>
Subject:  Re: 13.898, Disc: Economic Value of Lang Diversity

Date:  Tue, 2 Apr 2002 15:04:10 GMT
From:  "A.F. GUPTA" <engafg at ARTS-01.NOVELL.LEEDS.AC.UK>

Geoffrey Sampson said, "Latin is not a living language today,
though English vocabulary contains an enormous number of Latin-
derived words".

I agree that Latin does not live as a language through its words
borrowed into English (etc.).  But I think Latin IS still a living
language, now known as 'French', 'Italian', 'Spanish', 'Rumanian'
etc..  An illustration that  the spread of a language (at the expense
of other languages) doesn't necessarily lead to a monoculture.

Humans group themselves in groupings that make social sense
from one time to another. Geoffrey Sampson says: "Here in Britain
the generations younger than mine seem to be junking all
distinctive features of British culture wholesale, without even
debating whether some of them might be preferable to what
replaces them.  These trends are happening mainly through
individual choices in a free market; which makes it very hard to
argue that they should not be happening."

We have to accept that social patterns, and linguistic patterns
along with them, do change, but the impulses towards unity and
diversity are always there and will always result in social and
linguistic usages that reflect group behaviour.

Anthea

Anthea Fraser GUPTA : http://www.leeds.ac.uk/english/staff/afg/
School of English
University of Leeds