14.3325, Jobs: Applied Ling: Asst/Assoc Prof, Hunter College

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Dec 3 04:25:28 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-3325. Tue Dec 2 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.3325, Jobs: Applied Ling: Asst/Assoc Prof, Hunter College

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Sarah Murray <sarah at linguistlist.org>

standards of various countries.

Date:  Sun, 30 Nov 2003 16:20:30 -0500 (EST)
From:  aediger at hunter.cuny.edu
Subject:  Applied Ling: Asst/Assoc Prof, Hunter College, CUNY

Date:  Sun, 30 Nov 2003 16:20:30 -0500 (EST)
From:  aediger at hunter.cuny.edu

University or Organization: Hunter College, of CUNY
Department: Dept. of Curriculum & Teaching
Rank of Job: Assistant or Associate Professor
Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics
Required Language(s): English (Code = ENG)

The Department of Curriculum & Teaching at Hunter College, CUNY, seeks
an applied linguist and teacher educator to fill an
Assistant/Associate Professor of TESOL, tenure-track position,
beginning in Fall 2004.

Responsibilities include teaching a range of M.A.-level TESOL teacher
preparation courses (e.g., curriculum and materials, second language
teaching methodology, assessment, pedagogical grammar, linguistics,
and second language acquisition); research, and a record of sustained
scholarly growth; campus, community, and professional service. The
candidate should have a strong interest in language pedagogy and
teacher education and take an approach to L2 development that
recognizes not only the forms languages take, but also the social
contexts in which languages develop.  We especially desire someone
with research interests in at least one of the following areas:
language assessment, second language acquisition, K-12 ESL pedagogy
and development.

Because the graduate students in our program teach and do research in
second language development contexts that range from K-12, adult, and
university classrooms to community settings of various kinds, we
desire a candidate with an interest in multilingual/multicultural
populations such as those of New York City.  The candidate should be
able to teach advanced courses in language assessment, second language
acquisition and development and MA-level TESOL pedagogy, along with
other graduate courses as needed by the department. Our department
currently offers an MA with a general track in teaching adult ESL, and
an MA with K-12 certification track. Doctoral programs in Linguistics,
as well as in Urban Education also present opportunities to the right
candidate through the affiliated CUNY Graduate Center.  Candidates
must show strong promise in both research and teaching, and rapport
with the interests of the department.

Salary:  See salary scales at:
www.psc-cuny.org

For further information about the TESOL Program at Hunter College,
CUNY, please visit our Web site at:
http://www.hunter.cuny.edu/schoolofed/tesolnew.html

Please send cover letter, curriculum vitae, and 3 letters of
recommendation.

Address for Applications:

	Attn: Dr. Ira Kanis, Chairperson
	Dept. of Curriculum & Teaching,