14.2654, Disc: Re: Genetic clicks

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Oct 2 00:34:06 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-2654. Wed Oct 1 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.2654, Disc: Re: Genetic clicks

Editor for this issue: Sarah Murray <sarah at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 01 Oct 2003 04:44:34 +0000
From:  Daniel Everett <dan.everett at man.ac.uk>
Subject:  Genetic Clicks (and channels of discourse)

2)
Date:  Mon, 29 Sep 2003 12:48:01 +0100
From:  Larry Trask <larryt at sussex.ac.uk>
Subject:  Disc: Re: Genetic clicks

Date:  Wed, 01 Oct 2003 04:44:34 +0000
From:  Daniel Everett <dan.everett at man.ac.uk>

The discussion on genetic clicks has been thought-provoking, with
numerous useful comments. Clicks could be like other, even rarer
sounds. For example, there are various languages with sui generis
sounds, as Peter Ladefoged and I pointed out a few years ago in our
brief Language article, The problem of phonetic rarities. Where do
these sounds come from? The Piraha egressive lateral, the Wari & Oro
Win voiceless alveolar-bilabial trill, and other sounds present a
problem for the idea that phonological/phonetic theory alone is
sufficient to predicting (say, through distinctive feature theory),
what sounds are possible in human languages. There will likely always
be (rare) anomalies. Perhaps they arise from a combination of cultural
and linguistic motivations - sounds that people like the sound of just
make it into the language. Sort of the linguistic counterpart to
sexual (sexy/liked sounds) vs. natural (UG-type) selection. Then once
a sound is in a language, one can imagine it spreading for a variety
of reasons to other languages.

The use of clicks in hunting seems, as Marc Jones points out, more
likely related to communication in a hunting situation, rather than
hunting per se, since they are indeed loud. In my experience,
hunter-gathers make more noise than you might otherwise expect while
they hunt (not too much noise, though - Piraha have made me stand idle
and alone in the jungle for hours because my boots made too much
noise, while they went on ahead to hunt). The Piraha switch to whistle
speech while hunting. But not to be quieter, from what I can tell. It
is just 'men talk' in a 'man activity'. Perhaps such cultural
considerations, rather than linguistic factors, are primarily
responsible for clicks and other sui generis or very rare sounds.

Dan Everett