15.393, Qs: Ling/General Ed; Electronic Lang Documentation

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Jan 31 03:37:23 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List:  Vol-15-393. Fri Jan 30 2004. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 15.393, Qs: Ling/General Ed Classes;

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Naomi Fox <fox at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 29 Jan 2004 09:58:35 -0700
From:  Elizabeth Grace Winkler <winkler2 at email.arizona.edu>
Subject:  Courses in "Linguistics Lite"

2)
Date:  31 Jan 2004 03:23:30 -0000
From:  linglike at linguistlist.org
Subject:  query

Date:  Thu, 29 Jan 2004 09:58:35 -0700
From:  Elizabeth Grace Winkler <winkler2 at email.arizona.edu>

At the University of Arizona we offer a course entitled "Individuals
and Society" as part of a university wide general education
requirement. It is mostly taken by first-year students. Other
departments (Cog Sci. and Psychology for example) offer versions of
the course as well based on their core content.

For lack of a better way to explain it, I've been calling it
"Linguistics Lite".  We offer this class and Intro to Linguistics for
Non-Majors as well that is much more substantitive.

I would like to get in contact with others who are teaching this type
of class.

Thanks!
Elizabeth Winkler

Elizabeth Grace Winkler    Office: Social Sciences 320
Mailing Address:
Dept. of Linguistics
Douglass Bldg. 200E.
University of Arizona