15.1908, Jobs: Comp Ling: Linguist, Cataphora, Inc., CA, USA

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Jun 23 21:45:56 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List:  Vol-15-1908. Wed Jun 23 2004. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 15.1908, Jobs: Comp Ling: Linguist, Cataphora, Inc., CA, USA

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Tomoko Okuno <tomoko at linguistlist.org>

standards of various countries.

Date:  Tue, 22 Jun 2004 17:33:13 -0400 (EDT)
From:  rto at cataphora.com
Subject:  Computational Linguistics: Linguist, Cataphora, Inc., CA, USA

Date:  Tue, 22 Jun 2004 17:33:13 -0400 (EDT)
From:  rto at cataphora.com

University or Organization: Cataphora, Inc.
Department: Linguistics/Ontology
Rank of Job: Linguist
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics/AI/Knowledge Engineering

Cataphora is a young, growing company, building a business whose focus
is the analysis of large corpora of electronic documents, a field rich
in technological and commercial opportunities. We have a core
technology, a working product, and a focused team of experienced and
passionate software professionals with broad expertise. Our customer
base is expanding and we are profitable.

We seek individuals with outstanding skills in the analysis of
multi-lingual electronic corpora. We are open in principle to a
variety of training, experience, and inclination---linguistics,
artificial intelligence and its applications, knowledge engineering.
We are especially interested in individuals comfortable with the
techniques and relative merits of both symbolic and statistical
techniques.  We actively engage both in the development of new
advances of our core technology and product line and in the
application of stable technology to customer needs. In the long run,
both are essential to the health of our company; but in the short run,
satisfying current customers is critical to our success. Current
customers are often driven by impending deadlines and stringent
criteria whose violation imposes significant penalties. This lends a
certain intensity to the Cataphora working environment, and
concomitant opportunities to earn significant rewards (along with
considerable flexibility in working hours).

If this combination of rewards and challenges attracts you and
you are interested in constructing working systems with demonstrated
and growing value, we want to hear from you. (It is not our policy
to handle relocations; TN visas or H1 visa transfers, however, are
conceivable.)

Requirements:

+ familiarity with basic search techniques and ontology development
+ background in theoretical linguistics, computational linguistics,
artificial intelligence and their applications to search techniques and
ontology development
+ experience, proficiency, facility in programming
+ intellectual curiosity
+ appreciation for working with great people in a promising young company

Strongly preferred (the more the better!):

+ knowledge of other major world languages (in addition to English)
+ excellent working knowledge of Java, Python, Perl
+ familiarity with large database applications
+ strong data visualization design and development skills
+ strong quantitative and verbal abilities
+ honest, articulate, and persuasive

Job Location:

     Cataphora, Inc.
     1400 Bridge Parkway, Suite 203
     Redwood City, CA 94065

To apply, please send your resume (as a text file, a Word Doc, or a PDF file)
to:

     work at cataphora.com

Address for Applications:

	Attn: Recruitment Linguistics
	1400 Bridge Parkway, Suite 203
	Redwood City, CA 94065
	United States of America

	Position is open until filled.

Contact Information:

	Richard Oehrle.
	Email: rto at cataphora.com
	Tel: 650-622-9840 x 605
	Website: http://www.cataphora.com

This announcement was accompanied by a donation to the LINGUIST List!