15.1675, Qs: American English 'l'; Darwin/Child Lang

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat May 29 15:56:39 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List:  Vol-15-1675. Sat May 29 2004. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 15.1675, Qs: American English 'l'; Darwin/Child Lang

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Naomi Fox <fox at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 27 May 2004 08:40:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:  Mark Jones <markjjones at hotmail.com>
Subject:  Interdental /l/ in American English

2)
Date:  Mon, 24 May 2004 12:29:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:  Elodie Vialleton <elodie.vialleton at worc.ox.ac.uk>
Subject:  Darwin on child language acquisition

Date:  Thu, 27 May 2004 08:40:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:  Mark Jones <markjjones at hotmail.com>

Dear List Members,

As a native speaker of British English, I have the impression that an
interdental lateral /l/ is a possible realisation in American English,
perhaps associated with young West Coast females. I would appreciate
hearing from anyone who has any insights and observations, or
published data, on how common this realisation of /l/ is and whether
my impressions are correct. I will post a summary of any responses in
due course.

Many thanks

Mark J. Jones
Department of Linguistics