16.45, Jobs: Ling Annotation: Project Manager, U/Pennsylvania

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Jan 12 05:38:13 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-45. Wed Jan 12 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.45, Jobs: Ling Annotation: Project Manager, U/Pennsylvania

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Vanessa Manion <vanessa at linguistlist.org>

employment page http://linguistlist.org/jobnet.html. This page has been set

Date: 10-Jan-2005
From: Stephanie Strassel < strassel at ldc.upenn.edu >
Subject: Linguistic Annotation: Project Manager, University of Pennsylvania, PA, USA

Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 00:29:54
From: Stephanie Strassel < strassel at ldc.upenn.edu >

University or Organization: University of Pennsylvania
Department: Linguistic Data Consortium
Job Rank: Project Manager
Specialty Areas: Text/Corpus Linguistics; Linguistic Annotation

The Linguistic Data Consortium at the University of Pennsylvania has immediate
openings for two experienced project managers to support our rapidly growing
Linguistic Annotation Group.  The LDC is an open consortium of universities,
companies and government research laboratories. It creates, collects and
distributes speech and text databases, lexicons, and other resources to support
language-related research, education and technology development.

The Project Manager for Text Annotation will oversee multiple, concurrent
annotation projects to support information retrieval, summarization, question
answering, machine translation and related technologies.

The Project Manager for Speech Annotation will oversee multiple, concurrent
annotation projects to support projects in speech recognition, speech-to-text
and related technologies.

Responsibilities:
- Work with project sponsors and affiliated researchers to define corpora,
   annotation tasks and other deliverables that support program goals.
- Ensure that deliverables for each project are fully and accurately completed, on
   time and under budget.
- Manage fulltime staff of multilingual lead annotators, and delegate management
   of large part-time annotation staff.
- Oversee creation of annotation guidelines and project documentation.
- Participate in development of new project proposals.
- Coordinate technical support for annotation projects including annotation tools
   and data formats.
- Develop quality assurance procedures for annotation projects and oversee their
   implementation.
- Represent annotation efforts to external researchers and project sponsors at
   workshops and industry conferences.

Minimum qualifications:
- BA/BS in language-related discipline (advanced degree in
   linguistics/computational linguistics preferred)
- 2-3 years related experience
- Proven record of success in project management
- Strong technical skills (Windows competence at minimum; Linux/Unix strongly
   preferred)
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks, prioritize responsibilites and manage time
   effectively
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Familiarity with linguistic annotation procedures is a plus

Penn offers an excellent benefits package including medical/dental, retirement
plans, tuition assistance and a minimum of 3 weeks paid vacation per year. The
University of Pennsylvania is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.

For further information or to apply online please visit
http://www.hr.upenn.edu/jobs/
- Project Manager, Text: position reference #050116472
- Project Manager, Speech: position reference #050116473

Positions contingent upon funding.

For more information about LDC and the programs we support please visit our website.

Address for Applications:

        Stephanie Strassel
        3600 Market Street, Suite 810
        Philadelphia, PA 19104
        United States of America

Application Deadline: Open until filled.

Contact Information:

        Stephanie Strassel
        Email: strassel at ldc.upenn.edu
        Phone: 215-898-9681
        Fax: 215-573-2175
        Website: http://www.ldc.upenn.edu

This announcement was not accompanied by a donation to the LINGUIST List.
It is being posted as a service to the discipline.