16.50, FYI: Death of Kay Williamson

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Jan 12 15:24:11 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-50. Wed Jan 12 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.50, FYI: Death of Kay Williamson

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Ann Sawyer <sawyer at linguistlist.org>

Date: 10-Jan-2005
From: Roger Blench < r.blench at odi.org.uk >
Subject: Death of Kay Williamson

Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 10:14:54
From: Roger Blench < r.blench at odi.org.uk >

It with the greatest regret that I have to announce the death of Kay
Williamson, (born Ruth Margaret Williamson), my friend and colleague of
quarter-century, in Brazil on the 2nd of January, 2005. She was recovering
from a major operation in November and decided to go to Brazil to attend
the wedding of a niece. She had just finished the wedding and was about to
go home when she fell down and died instantly.

Professor Williamson's contributions to African linguistics will be
well-known to many readers of this list. A short vita together with a
preliminary list of her publications can be found at:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/roger_blench/Kay%20Williamson%20life%20RMB.htm

I hope to compile something fuller with the assistance of her family and
colleagues. In the meantime, I will post any reminiscences you have of Kay
on this site.

Kay Williamson left four major unpublished manuscripts which should be
brought to press. These are:

 I?j? dictionary
Comparative Ijoid
Igbo dictionary
Comparative Igboid

I am actively seeking suggestions both as to likely publishers and
resources to bring the manuscripts into publishable form.

Linguistic Field(s): Not Applicable