21.4382, Qs: Predicate Adjectives Requiring PP Complements

Tue Nov 2 16:54:13 UTC 2010

LINGUIST List: Vol-21-4382. Tue Nov 02 2010. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 21.4382, Qs: Predicate Adjectives Requiring PP Complements

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Danielle St. Jean <danielle at linguistlist.org>

Date: 01-Nov-2010
From: Sarah Hunt [smhunt at uci.edu]

Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2010 12:52:13
From: Sarah Hunt [smhunt at uci.edu]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=21-4382.html&submissionid=3478214&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

Dear LINGUIST List Members,

I'm a research assistant in a syntax lab at UC Irvine, and I'm working on
a project that examines how the brain stores lexemes' syntactic
information. This research would eventually go towards a journal
article.

This project focuses on predicate adjectives like "fond" that require a
PP complement (presumably for thematic and case reasons) in English:

John is fond of the book
*John is fond

I am having trouble finding more of these. So far, two other people and
myself have been going through lists of adjectives and testing each
one for this criteria. But we're not having much success. I was
wondering if anyone knows of a paper or book with a list of these, or
even just happens to know a few other examples. I will post a summary
of the responses.

Thanks!
Sarah Hunt

Linguistic Field(s): Cognitive Science