24.1302, Jobs: Applied Ling; Cog Sci; Comp Ling; Text/Corpus Ling: Intern Data Technician, Decooda

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Mar 15 21:25:22 UTC 2013

LINGUIST List: Vol-24-1302. Fri Mar 15 2013. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 24.1302, Jobs: Applied Ling; Cog Sci; Comp Ling; Text/Corpus Ling: Intern Data Technician, Decooda

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Sarah Fox <sarah at linguistlist.org>

Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 17:24:48
From: Stancy Curtis [scurtis at decooda.com]
Subject: Applied Linguistics; Cognitive Science; Computational Linguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics: Intern Data Technician, Decooda, Tennessee, USA

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=24-1302.html&submissionid=9567234&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: Decooda
Job Location: Tennessee, USA
Web Address: http://www.Decooda.com
Job Rank: Intern Data Technician

Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics; Cognitive Science; Computational Linguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics

Decooda International is a rapidly evolving intelligent market insights
company. Our mission is to focus “big data” into actionable insights that
enable marketing and sales teams to identify insights and behavior that can
drive real-time execution. We achieve our goals through a combination of
developing cutting edge linguistic analytics, massive parallel processing
approaches, and creative cognitive applications and techniques.

Widespread interest and sustained calls for our product means that we are
currently seeking to expand our team. We are offering two intern positions for
data technicians; however, we envision rapid promotion for those people who
join us at this comparatively early stage.

The successful candidates will be able to demonstrate the skills and
qualifications listed below or will be able to offer convincing evidence that
these skills and qualifications can be learned/developed rapidly.

Decooda recognizes that novel skills, creative talents, and non-standard
approaches to problem solving are highly desirable attributes. To this end,
applications are encouraged from those who see themselves as offering a
significant benefit to the goals of Decooda.

The current positions are for a paid internship located on-site at our offices
in Memphis, TN. Highly competitive salaries for full time positions are
dependent on performance and continuing rate of company development.

Necessary Skills and Qualifications:
-  Undergraduate degree or Master’s in psychology or linguistics (if
psychology, preferably with a concentration in experimental or cognitive
psychology, or even social psychology)
-  Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Excel in particular)
-  Calculate basic statistics in Excel such as averages, standard deviation,
T-test, if/then statements in Excel, and recoding variables in Excel
-  Basic knowledge about experimental design and methodology
(1) What is the difference between within subjects and between subjects
studies?
(2) What are demographic variables
(3) What is a confound?
- Some knowledge of SPSS

Preferred Qualifications (Applicants should explain how they exhibit any of
the following skills):
-  Knowledge of SPSS
-  Some statistics background (i.e., what is a regression, how is a t-test
different from a correlation?)
-  Some knowledge of R (statistical program)
-  Basic programming skills (e.g., java, visual basic, perl)
-  Experience with science writing (i.e., writing up results in APA format)
-  Knowledge of corpus
-  Knowledge of power point presentations
-  Knowledge of non-English language
-  Teaching or tutoring experience
-  Customer service experience
-  Business experience