26.1769, Presenting Our Next Featured Linguist: Joe Salmons

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Apr 2 14:24:39 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-1769. Thu Apr 02 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.1769, Presenting Our Next Featured Linguist: Joe Salmons

*************    LINGUIST List 2015 Fund Drive    *************

              http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Andrew Lamont <alamont at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2015 10:24:20
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]

Dear subscribers,

We are pleased to present you our featured linguist Joe Salmons for Fund Drive
2015. Please support the LINGUIST List editors and activities with a donation:

http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

Joe Salmons

‘Featured linguist’ blurbs used to directly address the question ‘how did I
become a linguist?’. Every single day I think about that, how lucky I am to be
a linguist and one doing what I’m doing.

Growing up mostly just outside Kings Mountain, North Carolina, from first
grade into college I was a really weak student and came close to dropping out
of high school. But I graduated and stumbled into the University of North
Carolina at Charlotte, and into Philosophy and Foreign Languages, departments
with amazing profs who worked hard to help me along. About halfway through,
things clicked, especially in the philosophy and history of science, and I
just worked on learning languages, especially German. Philosophy courses
didn’t yield big answers but I learned something about how to approach
problems. The German program made it possible for me to go to Germany one
summer, my first trip ever outside the southeastern U.S. Both things were life
changers.

(...)

Read more:
http://blog.linguistlist.org/?p=2121

Please support The LINGUIST List editors and activities and donate during the
Fund Drive 2015. LINGUIST List really needs your suppport!

Thank you all!