26.2086, Fund Drive 2015: Where Does YOUR University Stand?

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Sun Apr 19 20:54:50 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-2086. Sun Apr 19 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.2086, Fund Drive 2015: Where Does YOUR University Stand?

*************    LINGUIST List 2015 Fund Drive    *************

              http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Ashley Parker <ashley at linguistlist.org>

Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2015 16:53:12
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]

 Dear Fellow Language Lovers,

As of Sunday afternoon at 3:00 (EST), Fund Drive has made $33,331.34 While we are so grateful for all of the support we have received thus far, we are far from our goal. We are over $46,000 away from earning what we need. If we don’t meet our goal, major changes will have to be made to the LINGUIST List that you know and love.

If you haven’t already heard, we now also have an option for you to become a recurring donor. Please visit http://linguistlist.org/issues/26/26-2068.html for more information! If you’d like LINGUIST List to continue operating free
of charge to our subscribers, the Choice is YOURS!

As a reminder, we have several donation benefits you can enjoy no matter how much you donate. Along with supporting LINGUIST, you can use your donation to help your university, business, subfield, country, or region in our
challenges!

In our Subfield Challenge, computational linguistics continues to dominate with donations totaling nearly $7,000. Syntax and sociolinguistics hold the second and third spot, respectively. Phonology, which once was in first place,
has fallen behind. Where did all of our phonologists go?

Please visit http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/subfield/ for a full list!

In our University Challenge, Indiana University Bloomington is our overall leader, and the top donor for the USA.  North-West University, Potchefstroom and Vaal Triangle Campuses is the leader for Africa and is currently in 4th
place overall! The University of Cambridge is our leader for Europe, and stands in 11th place. In 13th place we have the City University of Hong Kong, our leader for Asia. The University of Melbourne ranks in 32nd place and is our leader for Australia!

So far today we’ve received donations from the University of Kansas, National Hsinchu University of Education, University of Manchester, SUNY Oneonta and Colorado State University!

Please visit http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/university/ for a full list!

Check out the results of our Business Challenge:

1. Google, Inc ($4,000)
2. Microsoft Natural Language Group ($300)
3. IBM Watson ($150)

We look forward to this list growing and hopefully some stiff competition! Thank for the donation today, Microsoft Natural Language Group!

Please visit http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/region/ and http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/country/ for full lists for our Region and Country Challenges!

To make a donation and help your subfield, university, business, region, or country win, please visit http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/donate/.

Thank you all for your support! We need all we can get!

Sincerely,
The LINGUIST List Team