26.5137, Calls: Discourse Analysis/Sweden

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Nov 17 16:10:06 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-5137. Tue Nov 17 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.5137, Calls:  Discourse Analysis/Sweden

Editor for this issue: Amanda Foster <amanda at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2015 11:09:30
From: Françoise Sullet Nylander [francoise.sullet-nylander at su.se]
Subject: Political Discourse and the Extremes in the Romance Speaking Countries

Full Title: Political Discourse and the Extremes in the Romance Speaking Countries

Date: 21-Oct-2016 - 22-Oct-2016
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Contact Person: Françoise Sullet Nylander
Meeting Email: francoise.sullet-nylander at su.se

Linguistic Field(s): Discourse Analysis

Call Deadline: 15-Feb-2016

Meeting Description:

Workshop (20-21 October 2016)

Political Discourse and the Extremes in the Romance Speaking Countries: linguistics and social science perspectives

For this second workshop − within the main research project Political discourse in the Romance speaking countries: linguistics and social science perspectives (ROMPOL) − our group has chosen the theme Political Discourse and the Extremes. Whereas the main focus during the first workshop was on political debates in the oral media, this second edition will include any form of texts carrying political messages: news media, blogs, pamphlets, contemporary fictional or non-fictional works, social media sites, etc. The intention is also to further explore the following related themes:

- Populist political discourse and its different manifestations in Romance speaking countries in Europe as well as in Latin America
- Identities, racism and discrimination
- Ideologies and religions

Our intention is to use linguistic as well as social and historical perspectives and involve scholars from various fields in the humanities and the social sciences. Our main research idea is based on the assumption that knowledge and understanding of political discourse is best achieved with an interdisciplinary stance, through collaboration between the disciplines of linguistics and social sciences.

Invited lecturers (the four following keynotes speakers have already accepted our invitation):

- AUBOUSSIER Julien, Université de Franche Comté, Besancon, France.
Areas of research: Media and political discourse analysis, Europe and globalization, social movements, the circulation of discourses, public arenas and local territories.

- BOLIVAR Adriana, Universidad Central de Venezuela.
Areas of research: The discursive construction of Latin American populism; Stability and change in political genres Impoliteness in political interaction; The roles of positive and negative affectivity in political polarization (or populism); The linguistic realizations and functions in political confrontation.

- JOHNEN Thomas, Westsächsische Hochschule Zwickau, Germany.
Areas  of research: Modal verbs in Portuguese, their semantics, pragmatics and grammaticalization; textual and discursive functions and polyphony processes; contrastive linguistics, especially between Portuguese, French, Spanish and German with special focus om media discourse.

- SARLO Beatriz, earlier Professor at the University of Buenos Aires, Argentina. She has been a visiting professor and researcher at, among others, the universities of Columbia, Berkeley, Harvard, NYU, Chicago and Cambridge.
Areas of research: Latin American cultural studies; Argentine literary and cultural history; cultural sociology; postmodernity and the role of the intellectuals; political discourses; feminism.

Call for Papers:

Relevance:

Many scientists – including our group organizing this conference - have done some research on various aspects – linguistic, social, legal, cultural and historical – of the political discourse. The scholars in the scientific committee represent linguistics, history, sociology of law, anthropology, economy and political science, covering the areas French, Spanish, Portuguese and Latin-American Studies. All have worked on political issues in the context of different research projects within discourse analysis, critical media discourse and social sciences. Our second workshop is an opportunity to increase the number of collaborations within discourse analysis and political discourse in the Romance speaking countries between the universities represented by the plenary speakers, the scientific committee and other scholars who wish to join us in order to establish international contacts with researchers from different backgrounds who are interested in interdisciplinary and comparative
  research on political discourse. We wish to create an international network, which will allow in the future the development of  international and/or European research projects. On the long term, we aim to establish projects which focus on a larger comparison between the Nordic countries and the countries of Europe and Latin America where Romance languages are spoken. Finally, these collaborations would enhance the research environments to a point that could not be reached if each of us worked separately.

Publication:

After evaluations of external Peer Reviewers, we plan to publish a selection of articles presented during the workshop in an anthology at Stockholm University Press

Important Dates/Deadlines:

- 15 November 2015: 1st Call for papers/proposals.
- 15 February 2016 : Proposals should be sent to rompol at su.se
- 15 April 2016 : Notification of Abstract Acceptance/Rejection from the Scientific committee.
- 30 June-15 September 2016: Registration.
- 20-21 October 2016: Workshop
- 15 December 2016: Articles should be sent to rompol at su.se
- 15 March 2017: Notification of Article Acceptance/Rejection based on the evaluations of external Peer Reviewers.
- December 2017: Publication of an anthology (Stockholm University Press/Book serie: Stockholm Studies in Romance Languages).

Organisation and scientific Committee:

María-Luisa Bartolomei, María Bernal, Christophe Prémat, Andrés Rivarola, Malin Roitman, Françoise Sullet-Nylander (Romance Studies and Classics, University of Stockholm)