27.4401, FYI: Online Lecture on Picture-Naming in Aphasia

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Sun Oct 30 19:22:09 UTC 2016

LINGUIST List: Vol-27-4401. Sun Oct 30 2016. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 27.4401, FYI: Online Lecture on Picture-Naming in Aphasia

Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org (Anthony Aristar, Helen Aristar-Dry,
                                   Robert Coté, Michael Czerniakowski)

                       Fund Drive 2016
                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2016 15:21:59
From: Dirk Den Ouden [denouden at sc.edu]
Subject: Online Lecture on Picture-Naming in Aphasia

Thursday, November 3rd 2016, 2pm EDT

https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/667426173
http://cstar.sc.edu/lecture-series/

A cognitive psychometric model for assessment of picture naming errors

Grant M. Walker
Postdoctoral Fellow, University of California, Irvine.

The latent abilities required for word production in aphasia can be measured
using a cognitive model of the picture naming process. A multinomial
processing tree (MPT) characterizes the latent decisions that must be made
when naming a picture, and the assumed decision points are motivated by a
two-step theory of word retrieval in which errors can occur during selection
of a word and/or its corresponding sounds. The model further assumes that the
success of internal processing depends either on the ability of the
participant, the difficulty of the item, or an interaction. We fit the model
to 63,875 naming responses (365 patients, 175 items each) collected at 2
different research hospitals, in Philadelphia, PA (n=275) and Columbia, SC
(n=90). To assess the model's predictions on the picture naming task (i.e.,
internal validation), we compared it with several other pattern recognition
and prediction models with similar numbers of parameters, including artificial
neural networks and individual modes with limited error correction at the
item-level. The MPT model had the highest accuracy (67.7%) for predicting
which of 8 response types a participant would produce on a given item, and
unlike the pattern recognition models, it predicted all of the response types
at least once. This provides evidence that our psychological assumptions are
improving our understanding of the processes that generate this data. To
assess external validity, we examined the relationship between the estimated
parameters and other psychological tests. The model's word selection ability
correlated with other tasks of word processing, and the model's phoneme
selection ability correlated with other speech production tasks; similarly,
lexical difficulty correlated with word frequency, while phonological
difficulty correlated with word length and the number of similar sounding
words. We also examined neurological imaging and found that lexical abilities
were associated with damage to the superior temporal gyrus, while phonological
abilities were associated with damage to insular cortex and the superior
longitudinal fasciculus. An online platform allows researchers and clinicians
to obtain ability estimates and percentiles from item-level picture naming
data using the model.

The lecture will be held at the University of California, Irvine. However, it
can also be followed online from your computer, tablet or smartphone, via the
following GoToMeeting address (no password required):
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/667426173

You can also dial in using your phone.
United States : +1 (872) 240-3412
Access Code: 667-426-173
First GoToMeeting? Try a test session: http://help.citrix.com/getready

C-STAR Lecture Series:

The Center for the Study of Aphasia Recovery (C-STAR;
http://cstar.sc.edu/lecture-series/) houses researchers who examine the
effects of behavioral treatment, brain stimulation, and residual brain
function (brain plasticity) on recovery from aphasia. C-STAR is a
collaboration between researchers from the University of South Carolina, the
Medical University of South Carolina, Johns Hopkins University, and the
University of California, Irvine. The Center is funded through the National
Institute of Deafness and Communication Disorders (NIDCD) grant #NIH P50
DC014664. Biweekly public lectures, given by members and guests of C-STAR, are
accessible live and online. Recordings of the lectures can be viewed via
C-STAR YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8p0CuG4He9nqCR4nnzhZ7w

For more information, please contact Dirk den Ouden (denouden at sc.edu)

Linguistic Field(s): Cognitive Science