29.3185, Jobs: Phonology: Assistant Professor, Boston University

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Aug 16 16:03:51 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-3185. Thu Aug 16 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.3185, Jobs: Phonology: Assistant Professor, Boston University

Moderator: linguist at linguistlist.org (Malgorzata E. Cavar)
Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org (Helen Aristar-Dry, Robert Coté)
Homepage: https://linguistlist.org

Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <becca at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2018 12:03:01
From: Carol Neidle [carol at bu.edu]
Subject: Phonology: Assistant Professor, Boston University, USA

University or Organization: Boston University
Department: Linguistics
Job Location: Massachusetts, USA
Web Address: http://ling.bu.edu/
Job Title: Assistant Professor of Linguistics
Job Rank: Assistant Professor

Specialty Areas: Phonology

The Department of Linguistics at Boston University invites applications for a
tenure-track Assistant  Professor of Linguistics, with a specialization in
Phonology, to begin July 1, 2019, pending  budgetary approval. S/he will teach
courses in phonetics, phonology, and related areas and advise  student
research at the graduate and undergraduate levels. Additional expertise in any
of the  following areas is desirable, but not required:
- Computational approaches to the study of languages;
- Linguistic variation;
- Psycholinguistics and/or neurolinguistics;
- Understudied or underdocumented  languages.

Requirements include:
- A PhD in Linguistics in hand by the start date,
- A strong  background in linguistic theory, and
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching, advising, and research.

 For further information about our academic programs, see our department
website above.

Application materials should be uploaded as individual PDF files through
Academic Jobs Online  at the application link provided below. These should
include a 2-page cover letter plus  separate statements about research and
teaching, of not more than 2 pages each. Please also  upload a curriculum
vitae, documentation of success in teaching (e.g., student and/or peer
teaching  evaluations), and three selected publications. Three reference
letters are to be uploaded by  recommenders. For full consideration,
applications should be complete by October 20, 2018.

Boston University is an AAU institution with a rich tradition of inclusion and
social justice. We are  proud that we were the first American university to
award a PhD to a woman (1877) and that Martin  Luther King Jr. received his
PhD here (1955). The Linguistics Program is committed to the College  of Arts
& Sciences Diversity and Inclusion Strategic Plan
(https://www.bu.edu/cas/about/diversity-inclusion/)  for building a diverse,
inclusive, and accessible environment for all. Applications from  women,
minorities, and members of other underrepresented groups are strongly
encouraged. Recognizing that diversity of experience deepens the intellectual
endeavor, we are  dedicated to increasing the participation of all talented
students, including those from  underrepresented groups, in the study of
language, and we are particularly interested in scholars who  can contribute
to the diversity and inclusiveness of the academic community, at BU and
beyond,  through their research, teaching, and service.

We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive
consideration for  employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex,
sexual orientation, gender identity, national  origin, disability status,
protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are
a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.

Application Deadline: 20-Oct-2018

Web Address for Applications: https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/11639
Contact Information: