30.3302, Support: General Linguistics: PhD, University of Hong Kong

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Sep 3 15:31:14 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-3302. Tue Sep 03 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.3302, Support: General Linguistics: PhD, University of Hong Kong

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Yiwen Zhang <yiwen at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2019 11:31:02
From: Youngah Do [youngah at hku.hk]
Subject: General Linguistics: PhD, University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong

 Institution/Organization: University of Hong Kong
Department: Department of Linguistics
Web Address: https://www.linguistics.hku.hk/

Level: PhD

Duties: Research

Specialty Areas: General Linguistics

The Department of Linguistics at the University of Hong Kong (HKU) seeks to
recruit PhD (4 years without MPhil degree; 3 years with MPhil degree) and
MPhil ( 2 years) candidates with a starting date of Sep 1 2020.

HKU Linguistics offers an integrated program in the study of linguistics,
including theoretical linguistics, language documentation, computational
linguistics, psycholinguistics, and neurolinguistics. See linguistics.hku.hk
for further information.

This year, we are especially interested in candidates with research interests
in areas including but not limited to:
Dr. Wai Ting Siok: Language neuroscience, reading development, and dyslexia.
Dr. Cathryn Donohue: Himalayan languages, and field- and experimental-based
morphosyntax especially case marking.
Dr. Heeju Hwang: Psycholinguistics.
Dr. Joe Perry: Language documentation especially of Sino-Tibetan languages,
theoretical syntax, and theoretical morpho-phonology particularly in a
Distributed Morphology framework.
Dr. Youngah Do: Phonological acquisition, experimental phonology, and
computational phonology.
Dr. Christophe Coupé: Quantitative approaches to linguistic diversity, and
computational approaches to language change.
Dr. Jonathan Havenhill: Articulatory phonetics, sound change and variation,
and laboratory phonology

Our department offers an innovative research setting, excellent working
conditions, and intensive supervision. We have several labs: Brain Language
Mapping Lab, Field Linguistics Lab, Psycholinguistics Lab, and Language
Development Lab. The candidates will have access to our lab facilities
including an ultrasound machine, an eye-tracker, a sound booth, and equipment
for fieldwork and for various behavioral experimentations.

The successful candidate will have excellent grades, and hold an MA/MPhil or
equivalent degree in the field of linguistics. Familiarity with the
collection, elicitation and the analysis of linguistic data is highly
desirable. Applicants must have a good command of English. Strong candidates
are encouraged to apply for one of the HK PhD Fellowships (USD 3,200 per
month) and will automatically be considered for the HKU Postgraduate
Fellowship (USD 2,200 per month).

Please discuss with your potential supervisor before you apply. Online
application link is provided below.

For the details of the applications, please read admission page carefully,
where all the application guidelines can be found:
https://www.gradsch.hku.hk/gradsch/rola/online-application-for-mphil-phd-admis
sion

MPhil/PhD applications online application for admission:
https://www.gradsch.hku.hk/gradsch/rola/online-application-for-mphil-phd-admis
sion.

Main round for MPhil/PhD applications: Sep 1 2019 – Dec 2 2019

Application Deadline: 02-Dec-2019

Mailing Address for Applications:
	Attn: Dr. Youngah Do
	930 Run Run Shaw Tower