31.3492, Books: Language as Symbolic Power: Kramsch

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Nov 13 03:24:23 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-3492. Thu Nov 12 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.3492, Books: Language as Symbolic Power: Kramsch

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Jeremy Coburn <jecoburn at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2020 22:24:11
From: Rachel Tonkin [rtonkin at cambridge.org]
Subject: Language as Symbolic Power: Kramsch

Title: Language as Symbolic Power
Series Title: Key Topics in Applied Linguistics

Publication Year: 2020
Publisher: Cambridge University Press
	   http://cambridge.org

Book URL: https://www.cambridge.org/us/academic/subjects/languages-linguistics/applied-linguistics-and-second-language-acquisition/language-symbolic-power?format=HB

Author: Claire Kramsch

Electronic: ISBN:  9781108873598 Pages:  Price: U.S. $ 24.00
Hardback: ISBN:  9781108835862 Pages:  Price: U.S. $ 99.99
Paperback: ISBN:  9781108798891 Pages:  Price: U.S. $ 29.99
Paperback: ISBN:  9781108798891 Pages:  Price: U.K. £ 22.99

Abstract:

Language is not simply a tool for communication - symbolic power struggles
underlie any speech act, discourse move, or verbal interaction, be it in
face-to-face conversations, online tweets or political debates. This book
provides a clear and accessible introduction to the topic of language and
power from an applied linguistics perspective. It is clearly split into three
sections: the power of symbolic representation, the power of symbolic action
and the power to create symbolic reality. It draws upon a wide range of
existing work by philosophers, sociolinguists, sociologists and applied
linguists, and includes current real-world examples, to provide a fresh
insight into a topic that is of particular significance and interest in the
current political climate and in our increasingly digital age. The book shows
the workings of language as symbolic power in educational, social, cultural
and political settings and discusses ways to respond to and even resist
symbolic violence.

Introduction
Part I. The Power of Symbolic Representation:
1. 'I speak therefore I am'
2. The politics of representation
3. Narratives of power: the power of narrative
Part II. The Power of Symbolic Action:
4. 'I do things with words, therefore I am'
5. From symbolic power to symbolic violence
6. When symbolic violence becomes symbolic warfare
Part III. The Power to Create Symbolic Reality:
7. 'I am seen and talked about, therefore I am'
8. Language as symbolic power in the digital age
9. Engaging with symbolic power: responding to symbolic violence
Conclusion.

                     General Linguistics
                     Sociolinguistics

Written In: English  (eng)

See this book announcement on our website:
http://linguistlist.org/pubs/books/get-book.cfm?BookID=148475