32.1567, Jobs: Language Acquisition; Psycholinguistics: Post Doc, UiT The Arctic University of Norway

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu May 6 17:36:55 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-1567. Thu May 06 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.1567, Jobs: Language Acquisition; Psycholinguistics: Post Doc, UiT The Arctic University of Norway

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <becca at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 06 May 2021 13:36:22
From: Natalia Mitrofanova [natalia.mitrofanova at uit.no]
Subject: Language Acquisition; Psycholinguistics: Post Doc, UiT The Arctic University of Norway, Tromsø, Norway

University or Organization: UiT The Arctic University of Norway
Department: Department of Language and Culture
Job Location: Tromsø, Norway
Web Address: https://en.uit.no/enhet/isk?p_dimension_id=210121
Job Title: Postdoctoral Fellow in Multilingualism
Job Rank: Post Doc

Specialty Areas: Language Acquisition; Psycholinguistics

The AcqVA Aurora Centre currently consists of more approximately 40 active
researchers, including ten professors/associate professors, a lab director,
eleven researchers/postdoctoral fellows, five MSCA postdocs, four PhD
students, and eight Professor II positions (20%), who are top, internationally
recognized leaders in their field.

AcqVA Aurora is a UiT Aurora Centre, funded for the period 2020-2024. The
highly competitive UiT Aurora Centre scheme provides funding to research
groups that demonstrate academic excellence, in order to strengthen their
capacity to be successful in the competition for larger external funding. The
advertised Postdoctor/Researcher position is funded directly by the Aurora
Centre grant and will give the successful candidate the opportunity to work
closely with an outstanding team of linguists.

The advertized postdoc/researcher position will be linked to Theme 2 of AcqVA
Aurora.

Theme 2 is led by Professor Merete Anderssen and Dr. Natalia Mitrofanova and
also includes Adjunct Professor Ludovica Serratrice (University of Reading) as
well as several other members from the AcqVA Aurora Centre. The aim of the
theme is to establish the nature and extent of crosslinguistic influence (CLI)
in multilingual minds. In doing so, we will work on various populations and
different age groups with the aim of teasing apart CLI from other factors
affecting the outcome in multilingual acquisition. For heritage speakers, we
propose a new methodology which will enable us to disentangle CLI from the
effects of reduced input. We will go beyond comparing bilingual children to
monolinguals and make a comparison across multiple bilingual populations. In
doing this, we will keep one language - the target - constant and vary the
second language parametrically (based on the presence and absence of certain
grammatical features). We will match the participants by their exposure to the
target language, thus making sure that the only difference between the groups
is their other language(s). This means that if we find any differences in the
way the bilingual groups comprehend or produce the target language, we will be
able to confidently attribute these differences to the influence coming from
their other languages. In our investigation of the role of CLI in non-native
languages, we will also aim to control for other factors, such as amount of
exposure and cognitive abilities. The findings of the project will have
important implications for the theoretical field of multilingualism, as well
as practical implications for language teaching.

We solicit proposals on a variety of linguistic phenomena involving different
language combinations and populations, the latter including both language
acquisition (2L1, child and adult L2, L3, etc.) and attrition (in adults and
children). We especially, but not exclusively, welcome projects that consider
one or more of the following:
- What role structural overlap plays in crosslinguistic influence;
- How experiential factors and general processing load can be teased apart
from crosslinguistic influence; and
- How comparisons between heritage speakers of the same language with
different majority languages (rather than comparisons to monolinguals) can
help us isolate crosslinguistic influence from other factors determining
language outcomes.

Projects involving any language combinations are welcome. However, proposals
involving Norwegian as one of the languages are of particular interest.

To apply, please visit the application link below.

Application Deadline: 17-Jun-2021

Web Address for Applications: https://www.jobbnorge.no/en/available-jobs/job/204810/postdoctoral-fellow-in-multilingualism
Contact Information:
	Professor Merete Anderssen