LL-L: "Names" [E] LOWLANDS-L, 11.AUG.1999 (05)

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 11 23:57:11 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 11.AUG.1999 (05) * ISSN 1089-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Lee [glent at troi.csw.net]
Subject: LL-L: "Names" [E] LOWLANDS-L, 11.AUG.1999 (04)

>From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk]
>Subject: LL-L: "Names" (was "Etymology") [E] LOWLANDS-L, 11.AUG.1999 (02)

snip

>1. Americans think of "Robin" as a woman's name while the British think of
>it as a man's name. Hence some Americans might fail to parse Robinhood into
>two components as would come naturally to Brits, since Robin Hood is a man.

Right, I do have a niece by the name of "Robin", but growing up in good ol'
California I knew a boy by the name of Robin as well.

>2. Was the British 1960's TV series "Robin Hood" popular in America? If this
>was the first many Americans heard of Robin Hood they may have picked the
>name up from the theme tune, "Robin Hood, Robin Hood, riding through the
>glen &c". Since this was sung in 4/4 time, the third syllable may have been
>perceived as unstressed (though sung longer than each of the other two).

Hey Sandy,

I know that Americans got a good dose of the clever, foxy character,
starting about 1922 with the release of the Douglas Fairbanks feature 'Robin
Hood'.  Then 16 years later Warner Bros. came out with the new, 3-strip
Technicolor, sound-feature, starring Errol Flynn.  Around 1952, Disney came
out with a live-action feature of Robin Hood starring the British actor
Richard Todd. I no sure but it might have been filmed in England.  A 1950s
annual I have could tell me for sure! And of course, in 1974, Disney's
release of the animated Robin Hood told the familiar tale, but, through the
eyes and actions of animals--Robin was a fox, no less!!  I'm not sure I
remember the British series, but it's possible I could have seen it on PBS
after the 60s.  I better stop since this is getting away from the Lowlandic
topic of "Names."  Can I write to you Sandy and ask you about the British
series of "Robin Hood"?  It sounds interesting.

Dooglas

----------

From: Andries Onsman [A.Onsman at utas.edu.au]
Subject: LL-L: "Names" (was "Etymology") [E] LOWLANDS-L, 11.AUG.1999 (02)

>From David Rachlin:

 Also, no one here in their right mind would
>stress the van in van Gogh, etc. as many British do, you who tend to anglicize
>foreign words more readily than we.

I had always associated 'van stressing' with the US rather than the UK, but
stand corrected. It's the pronunciation of the Gogh part that has always
(gently) amused me. Goff, Gock and the wonderful Go. The last I had thought
to be a "French" affectation (Vin geaux? As opposed to vin rouge?).
Australians tends to favour van Gough, but that might be mere nostalgia. .
. .

Andries Onsman

Dr Andries Onsman
Riawunna