LL-L: "Ingvaeonic" [E] LOWLANDS-L, 11.AUG.1999 (06)

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 11 23:59:44 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 11.AUG.1999 (06) * ISSN 1089-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: john feather [johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk]
Subject: Ingvaeonic

Muhammed asked:

>>Lastly, I would like to raise a query about the Germanic tribe called the
_Ingvaeones_, and the branch of West Gemanic which is sometimes called
Ingvaeonic. (a) Were the Ingvaeones originally Germanic, Ron's mantion of
the
non-Germanic origin of the _Frisii_ has got me wondering; (b) English ( and
presumably Scots) and Frisian are generally described as being sister
Ingvaeonic
languages, can the other Low German members of West Germanic also be linked
this, or is 'North Sea Germanic' out on a limb? <<

According to Eggers (Deutsche Sprachgeschichte, Vol I) the designation
"Ingvaeonic" was a (somewhat fanciful ?) invention of Ferdinand Wrede
(1919). More recent understanding of the population movements in the
Christian Era has destroyed the simple equating of tribe with local language
in perpetuity. That seems to suggest that we can bid farewell to the
Ingvaeones from a Lowland point of view.

John Feather
johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk