LL-L: "Language varieties" LOWLANDS-L, 05.DEC.1999 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 5 23:01:36 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 05.DEC.1999 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: Ruud Harmsen [rharmsen at knoware.nl]
Subject: LL-L: "Language varieties" LOWLANDS-L, 04.DEC.1999 (01) [D/E]

R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]:
>Henno, the first of the two Russian sounds is higher than a schwa.
It is the
>medial equivalent of /i/ and is represented in IPA as an i with a
bar through
>the middle of it.  (The back equivalent is represented in IPA by an
upside-down
>m.)  However, it could well be that the sound is lower in certain
dialects.

Actually, I wrote that, not Henno. Apart from that, I think you're
right.

--
Ruud Harmsen - http://utopia.knoware.nl/~rharmsen/

----------

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Language varieties

Ruud wrote:

> Actually, I wrote that, not Henno. Apart from that, I think you're
> right.

Sorry, Ruud and Henno.

From: Anja Meyfarth [AMeyfarth at t-online.de]
Subject: LL-L: "Language varieties" LOWLANDS-L, 28.NOV.1999 (03) [E]

Hi folks!

Ron wrote:

> So you get a bunch of people that study the language and profess to want to
help
> preserve it.  Yet they want their cake and eat it too.  The very theoretical
> framework and terminology to which they adhere and their neglect of Low Saxon
> dialects outside Germany aid fragmentation and thus are detrimental to the
> survival chances of the language.  In the light of recent developments, the
> "standard language" argument in reference to separate/"foreign" languages is
> even more of a embarrassingly odorous albatross around people's necks.  And
it's
> not as though it's still just a matter of local interest only.  The world is
> watching.

Well, I didn`t experienced what you wrote, Ron. You see, Prof. Menke here in
Kiel
isn`t a sociolinguist, his interests are language history and dialectology. As
he was dealing with Dutch, too, he has the looks over the border. I would think
that to him Nedersaksisch (in the Netherlands) has a continuum on our side of
the
border. He never spoke of High German as the standard language to Low Saxon but
as the "Dachsprache" (roof language) under which Low Saxon exists. So, what I
learned Low Saxon to be is that it is an own language and dialect group.
Naturally
the students deal a lot with Low Saxon as it is spoken in Slesvig-Holstein but
they learn about Low Saxon dialects that exist abroad.
So, the opinions you quoted would be discussed but they are not what students in

Kiel are taught. Of course I cannot speak for other universities and not for the

INS (Institution for Low Saxon language) in Bremen.

So far,

Anja