LL-L: "Etymology" LOWLANDS-L, 11.DEC.1999 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 11 20:24:20 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 11.DEC.1999 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: Reuben Epp [repp at silk.net]
Subject: LL-L: "Etymology" LOWLANDS-L, 10.DEC.1999 (01) [E]

From: Lowlands-L Administrator <sassisch at yahoo.com>
To: LOWLANDS-L at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
<LOWLANDS-L at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG>
Date: 10/12/1999 10:42 AM

>From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
>Subject: Etymology
>
>Dear Lowlanders,
>
>Does any of you know the etymology of the Low Saxon (Low German) noun
>_Pracher_ (spelled _Pracha_ in Mennonite Low Saxon)?  Its meaning is
>'poor/destitute person', 'beggar', 'vagabond'.
>
>There must be a verb root /prach-/ somewhere, but it does not seem to have
>survived in the language.
>
>Regards,
>
>Reinhard/Ron

Dear Lowlanders,

Jack Thiessen's new 1999 "Mennonite Low German Dictionary" lists the
verb "prachre" as follows:

prachre - schw. v., w. v. betteln. to beg, entreat, appeal. poln./Pol.
pracharz.

Duden's "Deutsches Universal Wörterbuch" 1989 lists the noun "Pracher"
and verb "prachern" as follows:

Pracher, der; -s, - [mniederd. pracher, zu prachern] (bes. nordd.):
[zudringlicher] Bettler;

prachern (sw.V.; hat> [mniederd. prachen, mniederl. prachern,  H.  u.]
(bes. nordd.): betteln.

I hope this helps.
Reuben

----------

> Does any of you know the etymology of the Low Saxon (Low German) noun
> _Pracher_ (spelled _Pracha_ in Mennonite Low Saxon)?  Its meaning is
> 'poor/destitute person', 'beggar', 'vagabond'.

Ron :
I came across this in a Mawson Dictionary of Foreign Terms:
Prachtausgabe[Ger.], edition de lux; abbr. Pr.-A.

--
Regards

Gerald
http://members1.clubphoto.com/grald15022/e-Graphs__One/  (New)