LL-L: "Numerals" (was "Y2K") LOWLANDS-L, 19.DEC.1999 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 20 00:46:04 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 19.DEC.1999 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: Anja Meyfarth [AMeyfarth at t-online.de]
Subject: LL-L: "Y2K" LOWLANDS-L, 14.DEC.1999 (01) [E]

Hi folks!

Jorge Potter wrote:

> The Mayans who met the first Spaniards computed with a zero, but they
> were so demolished that their descendants still figure doing what I
> call "computing both ends." A horse-hack driver of typical
> Mayan features says he'll take us wherever, at so much an hour. So when we
> used his services from 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm, he tried to charge us for
>three hours!
>
> It was that way in Puerto Rico when I arrived in 1946, but now kids
> think in terms of math and computers. But we do say, "Nos vemos en 8
> días." (We'll get together  a week from today.) Or "en quince días" (in
> two weeks)
>
> Many workers are paid "por quincena" or "quincenalmente" (fortnightly)

I`m used to that, too. Saying "in acht Daag" is quite normal in Germany
(both in High German as in Low Saxon). "Fifteen days" would not be used.
Would it be possible to used a similar expression in English, Scots,
Dutch, and Afrikaans?

That`s all, folks!

Anja