LL-L: "Etymology" LOWLANDS-L, 19.DEC.1999 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 20 00:50:30 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 19.DEC.1999 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: Anja Meyfarth [AMeyfarth at t-online.de]
Subject: LL-L: "Etymology" LOWLANDS-L, 10.DEC.1999 (01) [E]

Hi folks!

Reinhard asked for the etymology of Low Saxon "Pracher".

The word reminded me of Yiddish. In the moment I cannot fetch my
favorite book about Yiddish: Salcia Landmann, Jiddisch - Das
Abenteuer einer Sprache, but I tried to look up the verb "parach"
in my dictionary for biblic Hebrew. What I found is this:

prch (written with chet): 1. to flower, to grow 2. to break open (of
an abscess)

prch (same spelling): flying, as a noun: birds

pirchach: brood, swarm, flock

prch (written with caph): to be violent

prch (same spelling): to close, to bolt

päräch: illtreatment

parochat: the curtain in the temple between the holy part and the
most holy section.

Maybe this will give something more to think about.

That`s all, folks,

Anja

----------

From: Anja Meyfarth [AMeyfarth at t-online.de]

Hi folks!

I just wrote this:

>Reinhard asked for the etymology of Low Saxon "Pracher".

>The word reminded me of Yiddish. In the moment I cannot fetch my
>favorite book about Yiddish: Salcia Landmann, Jiddisch - Das
>Abenteuer einer Sprache,

by the way: Ullstein Verlag, 5th edition, Frankfurt/Main, Berlin 1994

>but I tried to look up the verb "parach"
>in my dictionary for biblic Hebrew. What I found is this:

>prch (written with chet): 1. to flower, to grow 2. to break open (of
>an abscess)
>
>prch (same spelling): flying, as a noun: birds
>
>pirchach: brood, swarm, flock
>
>prch (written with caph): to be violent
>
>prch (same spelling): to close, to bolt
>
>päräch: illtreatment
>
>parochat: the curtain in the temple between the holy part and the
>most holy section.

>Maybe this will give something more to think about.

Wel, I just found my book. The author gives a glossar of Rotwelsch
(a language of scoundrels, which developed from Yiddish) at the end
of the book. And here I found "Pracher". I quote:

Pracher (2 Ableitungen: 1. lat. precari= bitten; 2. hebr. b`racha =
Segen)

end of quote. In English: 2 derivations: 1. latin precari = to beg;
2. hebrew b`racha = blessing

That`s all, folks,

Anja