LL-L: "Pronouns" [E] LOWLANDS-L, 04.JUN.1999 (03)

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at geocities.com
Fri Jun 4 23:20:15 UTC 1999

From: Floor van Lamoen <f.v.lamoen at wxs.nl>
Subject: Pronouns

> From:  Brandsma <brandsma at twi.tudelft.nl>
> Subject: Pronouns
<...>
> >What about the spread of object to subject forms for other personal
> >pronouns (or vice versa - but it seems to be mainly in that direction)? (I
> >know of Dutch 3rd person pl. ze-hun ('they'-'them') being replaced by just
> >hun in the spoken language and of the similar case in Swedish, where de-dem
> >is being replaced by just dem.)
>
> Well, there is norwegian Hun (for "they", related to Dutch "hun", zo there
> it already happened...), Afrikaans (and dialects from Zeeland in the
> Netherlands) that have "ons" for "we", and Afrikaans "hulle", Dutch
> (western dialects) hullie, from "hun + lieden" (so object form!) or analogy
> to "jullie" ("zullie" is also heard occasionnaly).

About the dialects from Zeeland (Zeeuws): Apart from _ons_ for Dutch
_wij_ also _me_ is used. The word _ons_ gives more emphasis.
Zeeuws _hulder_ for Dutch _zij_ (and _julder_ for _jullie_) seem to be
examples of the same phenomenon.

I am not sure whether this phenomenon is a object to subject shift. In
my opinion it might be a shift from a possessive pronoun to subject.

Best regards,
Floor van Lamoen.

 * Commands for automated functions (including "signoff lowlands-l") are to
   be sent to <listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org> or at