LL-L: "Phonology" [E] LOWLANDS-L, 29.JUN.1999 (04)

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 29 17:27:47 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 29.JUN.1999 (04) * ISSN 1089-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: john feather [johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk]
Subject: Phonology

Ron

Re: Your message of 22 June

Spelling reforms are always resisted. It would seem to me to be courting
disaster for a would-be reformer to suggest that it would be "better" in
Dutch to switch from writing "huis" to "huiz" (with no change in
pronunciation).

But is it correct to say that the "underlying form" of the consonant is [s]
? The verb "huizen" has past tense "huisde". Which is more fundamental,
unvoicing of terminal *"z" or voicing of intervocalic "s" ?

John
johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk