LL-L: "Syntax" LOWLANDS-L, 12.OCT.1999 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 12 15:12:12 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 12.OCT.1999 (02) * ISSN 1089-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: john feather [johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk]
Subject: Syntax

The form noun + adjective is used in older English verse where it helps the
rhyme or metre.

Milton, "Lycidas", 1638 contains the much-misquoted lines:

At last he rose, and twitched his mantle blue:
Tomorrow to fresh woods, and pastures new.

In the Scottish Metrical Psalms of 1650 the paraphrase of the 23rd Psalm has
the much mis-sung (because the lines break up the logical flow) lines:

He maketh me down to lie
In pastures green: he leadeth me
the quiet waters by.

There is a hymn which starts "Love divine all loves excelling" and Coleridge
wrote "power divine" to rhyme with "river Rhine".

Shakespeare does it when it suits him and wrote:

O mistress mine! where are you roaming?

The examples of possessive adjective in post-position which come to my mind
all involve "mine".

The Lord's Prayer in Old English starts "Father ure .. " but that may have
been affected by "Pater noster .. "

In my Norwegian primer Father Bear roars: "DET ER NOEN SOM HAR SITTET PAA
STOLEN MIN!" and the rules for adjective position are different from those
cited by Ron, but I see that the book was written in 1937 so perhaps things
have moved on. Apparently Icelandic and Faroese also have this word order.

John Feather
johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk

----------

From: john feather [johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk]

>From the sublime to the ridiculous: I forgot

Blake, in the poem now sung as "Jerusalem", wrote (1804-1810)

And did those feet in ancient time
Walk upon England's mountains green?

The poem he called "Jerusalem" (1815) has

Pancras and Kentish-town repose
Among her golden pillars high
Among her golden arches which
Shine upon her starry sky.

(Part of a fantasy about Jerusalem having been "builded" in North London [or
in his day, outside it]. Those golden arches get everywhere!)

And who but me could have forgotten:

In fourteen-hundred-and-ninety-two
Columbus sailed the ocean blue

John Feather