LL-L: "Etymology" [A/E] LOWLANDS-L, 15.SEP.1999 (03)

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 15 14:44:24 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 15.SEP.1999 (03) * ISSN 1089-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: $ Elsie Zinsser [ezinsser at simpross.co.za]
Subject: LL-L: "Etymology" [A/E] LOWLANDS-L

Hallo, Laaglanders!

Peter Stornebrink [frlboppe at direct.ca] het onlangs geskryf:

 I have waited for Henno to mention the Frisian word stoof, a
wooden 'box' of about 20 x 20 x 20 cm, open on one upright side and with
holes in the top. At the open side you insert a ceramic open 'pot' (I
don't recall how we called it - 'jiskefet' maybe?). In this ceramic pot
one places a burning coal or two and then puts the whole thing in the
stoof. Now you place your feet on the stoof and enjoy the warmth coming
from it. We would sometimes even sit on them to warm other parts of the
body! Stoofs must now be museum pieces until they run out of gas in
Europe and revert back to this old-fashioned technology!

Peter, ek ken daardie stofie gedoente! My ouers noem dit 'n _tessie_.
Hier in Suid Afrika is hulle uit hout gemaak (dieselfde groote soos
joue) en omdat hulle so maklik verniel, is daar nie meer veel van hulle
oor nie.

Die geelhout tessie in my ouerhuis is al swart om die bek gebrand. Dit
dateer uit 1899. 'n Emalje skotteltjie met fyn kooltjies is in die pens
van die _tessie_ geplaas en saamgedra waar die koulike voete heen wou.

and Ron wrote:
Stoves were >nothing more than fireplaces that had come to be enclosed,
and they were >architecturally parts of the rooms in which they were
located.  In other words, >they used to be built into the room.
Portable stoves were a later development.

I know that _bakoonde_ are still built outside the home in arid rural
areas. Here it is referred to as a _skerm_, i.e. an encircled area more
than 1 meter thick, and built from thorny shrub cuttings which become
impenetrable after 6 months in the sun. Here bread and _biskuit_ were
baked. Soap was cooked at a separate _stoof_ area inside the same
encirclement.

I think the _stoof_ area inside the houses was nothing more than an
afterthought and more like an appendix to the largest room in the house.
I've seen a few here with little windows on the sides and enough space
inside for wood, dried twigs, a big woman and occasionally a container
for coal.

Is there not somewhere an etymological connection between _stoof_ and
stowing?

Cheers!

Elsie